Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can't SU(2) be the gauge group of electroweak theory?

1. Jul 9, 2009 #1
    I know that there are many reasons why SU(2) can't be the electroweak gauge group, but I want to have some clarifications about the following one, that disergads neutral currents:
    in this case the currents are (considering only the lepton sector of the first generation)
    [tex]J^{-}_{\mu}=\bar{\nu}_{e}\gamma_{\mu}(1-\gamma_5)e[/tex]

[tex]J^{+}_{\mu}=(J^{-}_{\mu})^\dagger [/tex]

[tex]J^{em}_{\mu}=-\bar{e}\gamma_{\mu}e[/tex]
    From these one may hope to build a SU(2) group using as generators the three charges
    [tex]T_{+}(t)=\frac{1}{2}\int d^3 x J^-_0(x)=\frac{1}{2}\int d^3 \nu_e^\dagger(1-\gamma_5)e[/tex]

[tex]T_-(t)=T^\dagger_+(t)[/tex]

[tex]Q(t)=\int d^3 x J^em_0(x)=-\int d^3 e^\dagger e[/tex]
    At this point one should show that the generators [tex] T_+, \, T_-, \, Q[/tex] do not form a close algebra by computing the commutator [tex]\[T_+,T_-\][/tex] and showing that it is not equal to [tex]Q[/tex] (and this proves that SU(2) is not the right gauge group).
    I just want to know how to compute this commutator explicitly. In Cheng and Li's book it is said that it can be computed using the canonical fermion anticommutation relations but I was not able to do it.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2009 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

Well, without actually doing the calculation, it's pretty obvious that it can't possibly work. For one thing, only the left-handed electron field (and its hermitian conjugate) appears in J+ and J-, but J_em also includes the right-handed electron field; this can't be generated out of nothing from the commutator. Also, the neutrino field does not appear in J_em, yet it appears symmetrically with the electron field in J+ and J-, which means that it must appear in the commutator as well. The current you would get from the commutator would be something like

[tex]\bar{\nu}_{e}\gamma_{\mu}(1-\gamma_5){\nu}_{e} - {\bar e}\gamma_{\mu}(1-\gamma_5)e[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook