1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why can't the acceleration of a wedge be found by simply...

1. Jun 20, 2016 #1
    mentor note: thread moved to h/w forum so template is missing

Hi, I have recently been learning relative acceleration and I have a bit of trouble with basics;

In a problem with a smooth wedge on a smooth plane, a mass is gently placed on the wedge and I've been asked to find the acceleration of the wedge.
    Seemed pretty straightforward, just apply F=ma for the wedge?
    NO
    The answer was obtained by applying F=ma for the particle parallel to the wedge and for the whole system horizontally.
    Why couldn't I get the answer by just applying F=ma for the wedge?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2016 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Does the question ask for the relative horizontal acceleration? The wedge moves one way, and the body moves the other way.

4. Jun 20, 2016 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How do you propose finding the net force acting on the wedge ?

5. Jun 20, 2016 #4
    You should probably use the homework template as per the guidelines. I'm not sure you've given enough information about the problem for anyone to be able to help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted