Why couldn't the math portion be crammed into entry level physics?

In summary: This sounds like a general complaint about math in physics, not a specific complaint about this particular textbook.
Pleonasm
Is it too much to combine side by side in a physics class? I'm particularly interested concidering the lack of mathematical rigor that tends to characterize physics textbooks. Some of the math descriptions in physics textbooks is incorrect from a mathematicans viewpoint, while it's precise in the mathematical physics textbooks. So why then take pure math classes for undergraduates if they ultimately only use it as a tool, and abandon several principles taught in pure math?

See here with discussion by mathematicans for reference:

What-do-mathematicians-think-of-the-lack-of-rigor-that-sometimes-happens-in-physics-calculations-e-g-the-way-physics-deals-with-differentials?

https://www.quora.com/What-do-mathe...-e-g-the-way-physics-deals-with-differentials

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
One could also ask why history classes are not as rigorous as English classes with respect to grammar.

It comes down to time. More math means less Physics.

Likes poseidon721, symbolipoint, phinds and 1 other person
IIRC, the math course in my uni first year (Chemistry) was tacitly admitted to be 'remedial'. I liked Math, but it wasn't my best subject at school. (I got an 'A' in 'General Studies' ! Go figure... ) I certainly had an abstracts 'glass ceiling' beyond simple calculus. Even so, I was astonished to discover how badly many of my fellow students must have been taught...

Nik_2213 said:
IIRC, the math course in my uni first year (Chemistry) was tacitly admitted to be 'remedial'. I liked Math, but it wasn't my best subject at school. (I got an 'A' in 'General Studies' ! Go figure... ) I certainly had an abstracts 'glass ceiling' beyond simple calculus. Even so, I was astonished to discover how badly many of my fellow students must have been taught...
Generosity can be valuable especially when the receivers appreciate it.

pleonasm,
Are you complaining about Mathematics courses outside of Physics, or about "Mathematical Physics", the course?

Dr. Courtney said:
One could also ask why history classes are not as rigorous as English classes with respect to grammar.

It comes down to time. More math means less Physics.

Some of the mathematics definitions are just plain wrong in physics book, but never so in mathematical physics books. There was a glaring example of that referenced by a mathematican (former undergrad physicist) I chatted with in which the mathematical definition of something in the physics book was wrong, while it was correct in the mathematics physics book, and he added that ALL mathematical physics books get the math fundamentals right, not so the physics book. That is an unneccesary lack of rigor, don't you think?

symbolipoint said:
pleonasm,
Are you complaining about Mathematics courses outside of Physics, or about "Mathematical Physics", the course?

Mathematical physics is very rigorous. Physics (including theoretical physics) is not, though. It's more about function and using math as a tool, which is fine, but I know mathematicans who are highly critical of "non mathematical physicists" use of math in general.

Pleonasm said:
Some of the mathematics definitions are just plain wrong in physics book, but never so in mathematical physics books. There was a glaring example of that referenced by a mathematican (former undergrad physicist) I chatted with in which the mathematical definition of something in the physics book was wrong, while it was correct in the mathematics physics book, and he added that ALL mathematical physics books get the math fundamentals right, not so the physics book. That is an unneccesary lack of rigor, don't you think?

Perhaps, would be interesting to have the specifics.

My son's mathematical physics teacher freely admits that their approach is perfunctory and barbarian compared with proper mathematical rigor. At the same time, all his math profs are sticklers for rigor. On the whole, he'll be OK. (He's a physics major with a math minor).

Dr. Courtney said:
Perhaps, would be interesting to have the specifics.

My son's mathematical physics teacher freely admits that their approach is perfunctory and barbarian compared with proper mathematical rigor. At the same time, all his math profs are sticklers for rigor. On the whole, he'll be OK. (He's a physics major with a math minor).

It was a factual error about the definition or function of some mathematical quantity. I am not a math major, but all the math in statistics books for social sciences is to the best of my knowledge copy and pasted from pure statistics, then applied to the field of study. Apparently not when physicists write their books...

Perhaps someone who has done both physics and math know what type of factual errors that might plague physics books, which mathematical physics book do NOT contain.

I can't speak for the frequency of such errors, but there are some, apparently.

Pleonasm said:
Some of the mathematics definitions are just plain wrong in physics book, but never so in mathematical physics books.
Unless you can cite a specific example, this just seems like hyperbole to me.
Pleonasm said:
There was a glaring example of that referenced by a mathematican (former undergrad physicist) I chatted with in which the mathematical definition of something in the physics book was wrong, while it was correct in the mathematics physics book, and he added that ALL mathematical physics books get the math fundamentals right, not so the physics book. That is an unneccesary lack of rigor, don't you think?
Again, what example can you show?
Pleonasm said:
It was a factual error about the definition or function of some mathematical quantity.
This is vague to the point of uselessness.

Mark44 said:
Unless you can cite a specific example, this just seems like hyperbole to me.
Again, what example can you show?
This is vague to the point of uselessness.

I don't recall his example. Surely some here know of some

Pleonasm said:
Some of the math descriptions in physics textbooks is incorrect from a mathematicans viewpoint, while it's precise in the mathematical physics textbooks. So why then take pure math classes for undergraduates if they ultimately only use it as a tool, and abandon several principles taught in pure math?
Since you aren't able to provide any examples to back up your claim in post #1, I am closing this thread.

Likes jim mcnamara

1. Why is it not possible to substitute physics for the math portion of a test?

Physics and math are two distinct subjects with different concepts and principles. While math is essential for understanding physics, it cannot be completely substituted for it. The math portion of a test measures a student's ability to solve mathematical problems, while the physics portion tests their understanding of physical laws and principles.

2. Is the math portion not relevant to physics?

The math used in physics is highly relevant and necessary. Physics heavily relies on mathematical concepts and equations to explain and predict the behavior of physical systems. Without a solid foundation in math, it would be difficult to understand and apply the principles of physics.

3. Can't the math portion be crammed into an entry-level physics course?

While some math concepts are used in entry-level physics courses, it is not possible to cover all the necessary mathematical principles in a short period. A thorough understanding of math requires time and practice, which cannot be crammed into a single course. Furthermore, physics courses often introduce advanced math concepts that are not typically covered in entry-level math courses.

4. Why can't students with a strong math background skip the math portion?

Even if a student has a strong math background, it is still important for them to take the math portion of a test. Physics uses math in a specific context, and skipping the math portion could lead to a lack of understanding of how to apply math in a physics setting. Additionally, the math portion helps assess a student's problem-solving skills, which are crucial in physics.

5. Can't students learn the necessary math during the physics course?

While some basic math concepts are covered in physics courses, it is not possible to learn all the necessary math during the course. Physics courses focus on teaching physics principles and their applications, and there is not enough time to cover all the necessary math concepts. It is essential for students to have a solid foundation in math before taking a physics course.