Using entry level physics to calculate minimum velocity required.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the minimum speed required for a car to jump over a pit. The speed is calculated from the take off, not the start of the ramp. The approach suggested is to use projectile motion equations and solve for the initial speed (v0). The horizontal range of the projectile (Δx) is set to 15m and the vertical height (y) is set to 1m. The ramp angle (θ) is given to be 25°. The equations are used to solve for t in terms of v0 and θ, and then the t value is substituted into the equations to solve for v0. The final solution for the initial speed is 14.9m/s
QuickSkope

Homework Statement

A person is trying to jump over the pit in a car. I need to find what is the minimum speed required to make it over. This speed is calculated not from the start of the ramp, but from the take off.

Drawing of all the elements

Please excuse my ugly drawing :P.

Homework Equations

Projectile motion equations (Where Time is a constant)
d=vot+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I am trying to find the minimum velocity required to make this jump. We know the θ of the Ram is 25°. We also know that the left side is 15m, and the right is 16m. From there, we can judge that the Ramp is more like this.

Illustration of my triangle

We know the right side is 1m higher than the left, so we have to account for that in making our triangle.

We can calculate our 2nd θ using Tan = 1/15. This yields a theta of 3.8°.

To calculate the velocity required, i used projectile motion (using time as the only constant)

Vx | Vy
d= 15m Vf= X
V=? Vo=0
T= ? <--------> T=?
d=1m
a=-9.8m/s^2Calculate T using d=VoT+1/2at^2
1= 0 + 1/2(9.8)t^2
1=4.9t^2
t=0.45s

Calculate how fast the person needs to go to make the jump

D=V * T
15 = 0.45V
V= 33 m/sDoes that make sense? I feel like I did something wrong as I did not use the 25°.

Any help is much appreciated, and if you need more info/clarification, I will obliged.

Physics news on Phys.org
My approach to solving this problem would be to say that we want to solve for the initial speed, v0. In projectile motion, since there is no horizontal acceleration, the velocity in the x direction is constant:

vx = v0cosθ = const.

Now, for motion at a constant speed, it's just true that distance = speed*time. So the horizontal range Δx of the projectile is just:

Δx = vxt = (v0cosθ)t

You know that Δx must be 15 m to span the gap, so you can solve for t in terms of v0 and θ. That's one unknown eliminated (the time spent in the air).

Now you switch to the equations of motion for the vertical (y) direction. We have position vs. time given by:

y = y0 + v0yt - (1/2)gt2

= (v0sinθ)t - (1/2)gt2

For convenience, choose the initial vertical position (the top of the ramp) y0 to be 0 m. (It may be 15 m above your ground level, but why not measure heights from the top of the ramp?) So, that makes your final vertical position y = 1 m. So you can find the t that satisfies this equation for y = 1 m, and set that equal to the t from before.

How would I solve X=Vxt? I only know X=15, which leaves 2 variables.

I believe I did it backwards from you, finding the time required in the Y, and
using it in my Vx. Does that make my answer false?

Also, can the Theta not be found using just Tan=1/15?.

QuickSkope said:
How would I solve X=Vxt? I only know X=15, which leaves 2 variables.

Read my post more closely. vx = v0cosθ, so this equation allows you to solve for t in terms of v0, which is the thing you're trying to solve for, and θ, which is given, NOT unknown (see below)

QuickSkope said:
I believe I did it backwards from you, finding the time required in the Y, and
using it in my Vx. Does that make my answer false?

The order in which you use the equations doesn't matter. The y equation will give you the time required to reach a height of 1 m at a given launch speed, and then you can plug that into your x equation to solve for the launch speed that gives you the right horizontal range.

QuickSkope said:
Also, can the Theta not be found using just Tan=1/15?.

That's the wrong theta. You want the launch angle of the projectile, which is the ramp angle, which is already given to be 25°. So, as I said above, θ is already known.

So, solving for T in terms of Vo would give you:

t= 15/VoCos25

Correct?

And then I am lost from there, because you can't solve the next equation (y = y0 + v0yt - (1/2)gt2) for t. If I could solve for t=, then I could just put the 2 equations together and solve for Vo, Correct?

Sorry, I'm a little confused and not quite grasping it.

Thanks so much.

bump?

Ive tried subbing in the first equation (t=15/VoCos25) into the 2nd equation, but ended up with Vo^3 and it was just a mess. I am quite lost on this question still.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
QuickSkope said:
So, solving for T in terms of Vo would give you:

t= 15/VoCos25

Correct?

And then I am lost from there, because you can't solve the next equation (y = y0 + v0yt - (1/2)gt2) for t. If I could solve for t=, then I could just put the 2 equations together and solve for Vo, Correct?

Sorry, I'm a little confused and not quite grasping it.

Thanks so much.

Why not? It's a quadratic. Have you heard of the quadratic formula?

Never mind, I forgot to cancel out a V, ended up with 14.9m/s for my Vo, and I believe it works :).

Thanks for the help :D

1. What is the basic principle behind calculating minimum velocity using entry level physics?

The basic principle behind calculating minimum velocity required is the conservation of energy. This means that the kinetic energy of the object at the minimum velocity must be equal to the potential energy at the highest point of the trajectory.

2. How do you determine the minimum velocity required for an object to reach a certain height?

To determine the minimum velocity required, you need to use the equation for conservation of energy, which is: KE + PE = constant. Set the potential energy at the highest point of the trajectory equal to the kinetic energy at the minimum velocity and solve for the minimum velocity.

3. Can the minimum velocity required be negative?

No, the minimum velocity must be a positive value. This is because velocity is a vector quantity and represents the speed and direction of an object's motion. A negative velocity would indicate that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the intended trajectory.

4. How does air resistance affect the calculation of minimum velocity?

Air resistance can affect the calculation of minimum velocity by reducing the speed of the object as it moves through the air. This means that the object will require a higher minimum velocity to overcome the resistance and reach the desired height. However, this effect can be neglected for simple calculations using entry level physics.

5. What are the units for minimum velocity in the calculation?

The units for minimum velocity will depend on the units used for energy. If energy is measured in joules (J), then minimum velocity will have units of meters per second (m/s). If energy is measured in foot-pounds (ft-lb), then minimum velocity will have units of feet per second (ft/s).