Why curvature of a plane curve is k =d(phi)/ds?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
A330NEO
Messages
20
Reaction score
0
Why curvature of a plane curve is k = [tex]\frac{d\phi }{ds}[/tex]?

I know that curvature of a plane is [tex]\frac{\left | r'(t) \times r''(t) \right |}{\left | r'(t) \right |^3}[/tex], and that led to this.

[tex]k = \frac{\left | \frac{d^2s}{dt^2} \right |sin\phi }{\left | \frac{ds}{dt}\right |^2}[/tex]

But I can't go any further. Any ideas?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That is the definition of curvature. The expression you presented is the expression for the curvature given in terms of the derivatives of an arbitrary parametrization of a curve.

Consider a parametrization by arc length $\varphi: I \subset \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}^3$. Then

$$\left\| \frac{d \varphi}{ds} \right\| = 1 \text{ and } \left\| \frac{d^2 \varphi}{ds^2} \right\| = \kappa,$$

which is the curvature of the curve.
 
Fantini said:
That is the definition of curvature. The expression you presented is the expression for the curvature given in terms of the derivatives of an arbitrary parametrization of a curve.

Consider a parametrization by arc length $\varphi: I \subset \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}^3$. Then

$$\left\| \frac{d \varphi}{ds} \right\| = 1 \text{ and } \left\| \frac{d^2 \varphi}{ds^2} \right\| = \kappa,$$

which is the curvature of the curve.
uhh... I still don't get it. [tex]k=\left|\d{T}{s} \right|[/tex](if length of curve is s and T is for its tangential vector), but how does that become [tex]\left| \d{\phi}{s} \right|[/tex]? why use [tex]\phi[/tex], which is the angle between T and i(1, 0, 0)? Is there an specific characteristic of 'plane' curve that separages it from other 3-dimensional curves?