Why did they use these formulas for energy of electron.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
cloudage
Messages
14
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An electron microscope employs a beam of electrons to obtain an image of an object. What energy must be imparted to each electron of the beam to obtain a wavelength of 10.0pm?



Homework Equations


1. E = hv=hc/lambda
2. lambda = h/(mv)
3. KE = .5mv^2



The Attempt at a Solution


In this problem I thought you could use the first equation to find the energy with the specific wavelength of 10pm. However, the workbook goes through equations 2 and 3 to first find the velocity and then find the kinetic energy. The answers come out very different, so I must be thinking wrong. Can anyone help me understand this?
Since I am solving for energy, why do I need to go through equations 2 and 3?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
cloudage said:
1. E = hv=hc/lambda
This only applies to photons.
2. lambda = h/(mv)
3. KE = .5mv^2
For an electron, you'll need these two equations.
 
So whenever they say "electrons" I need to use them? That makes sense, I figured the electrons were being emitted as photons so I thought of them as photons.

Thank you for your help, I see why I got the wrong answer on a couple of other problems now too:smile:
 
cloudage said:
So whenever they say "electrons" I need to use them?
For any kind of massive particle. (A photon has no mass.)
That makes sense, I figured the electrons were being emitted as photons so I thought of them as photons.
Yikes, don't do that. :wink: