1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why did they use these formulas for energy of electron.

1. Nov 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron microscope employs a beam of electrons to obtain an image of an object. What energy must be imparted to each electron of the beam to obtain a wavelength of 10.0pm?

2. Relevant equations
    1. E = hv=hc/lambda
    2. lambda = h/(mv)
    3. KE = .5mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    In this problem I thought you could use the first equation to find the energy with the specific wavelength of 10pm. However, the workbook goes through equations 2 and 3 to first find the velocity and then find the kinetic energy. The answers come out very different, so I must be thinking wrong. Can anyone help me understand this?
    Since I am solving for energy, why do I need to go through equations 2 and 3?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

This only applies to photons.
    For an electron, you'll need these two equations.

4. Nov 29, 2009 #3
    So whenever they say "electrons" I need to use them? That makes sense, I figured the electrons were being emitted as photons so I thought of them as photons.

Thank you for your help, I see why I got the wrong answer on a couple of other problems now too:smile:

5. Nov 29, 2009 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

For any kind of massive particle. (A photon has no mass.)
    Yikes, don't do that. :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook