[College Chem] kinetic energy problem

No problem, happy to help!In summary, by plugging in the given values for kinetic energy and velocity, we can calculate the mass of the atom as 4.48E-29 kg. However, this value does not match with any element on the periodic table when converted to grams/mol. Taking into account the hidden factor of 1000 in the given energy value, we find that the correct mass of the atom is actually 4.48E-26 kg. When divided by the unified atomic mass unit, this results in an atomic mass of 27 u, which corresponds to the element Aluminum.
Lori

Homework Statement

[/B]
atom traveling at 1.00% the speed of light has a KE of 2.016x10-16 kJ. Identify the element.

Homework Equations

[/B]
KE = .5mv^2
Hv= binding energy + KE

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Ok. So I plugged into velocity and me to find my mass and got like 4.48E-26 g. So I tried to convert to grams/mol but it doesn't match with any of the elements on the periodic table... What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
I also have the solution but still want to know how to get the answer.

Answer : 27g/mol Aluminum

Lori said:

Homework Statement

atom traveling at 1.00% the speed of light has a KE of 2.016x10-16 kJ. Identify the element. [/B]

Homework Equations

KE = .5mv^2
Hv= binding energy + KE[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok. So I plugged into velocity and me to find my mass and got like 4.48E-26 g. So I tried to convert to grams/mol but it doesn't match with any of the elements on the periodic table... What do I do?[/B]

I also have the solution but still want to know how to get the answer.

Answer : 27g/mol Aluminum

Hi Lori! Welcome to PF! :)

The mass should be 4.48E-26 kg (kilograms), which we should divide by the average mass of a proton and a neutron, the so called unified atomic mass unit (u), which is 1.66E-27 kg/u.
The result is 27.0 u, which corresponds to the atomic mass of Aluminium, and which is also its number of grams per mol.

Shouldn't the mass be 4.48E-29 kg?

[2(2.016E-16)] / [0.01* (3.00E8)] = 4.48E-29kg

the units for KE is kgm^2/s^2 if I'm correct and so the kg is left and i get 4.48E-29kg

Note that the energy is given in kilo joules. There is a hidden factor 1000 in there. And that's while the kilogram (including the kilo) is part of the joule.
In other words, we have: 1 kJ = 1000 kg.m2/s2.

Likes Lori
Thank you. I did not know that!

Likes I like Serena

What is kinetic energy in a college chemistry context?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. In college chemistry, kinetic energy is often used to describe the energy of particles in a chemical reaction or the energy of molecules in a gas.

How is kinetic energy related to temperature in college chemistry?

In college chemistry, temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. As the temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the particles also increases.

Can kinetic energy be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, kinetic energy can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy or thermal energy. In chemical reactions, kinetic energy is often converted into heat energy.

What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy in college chemistry?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity of the object. In college chemistry, this formula is often used to calculate the kinetic energy of particles in a reaction.

How does kinetic energy play a role in reaction rates?

In college chemistry, reaction rates are affected by the kinetic energy of the reacting particles. Higher kinetic energy leads to increased molecular collisions, which can result in a faster reaction rate.