Why Did You Choose Your Avatar for Wikipedia?

  • Thread starter Thread starter hbk4894
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Explain
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
108 replies · 17K views
I'm a big fan of Futurama, and Bender and Dr Zoidberg are my favorite characters. A clip from the series:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
House Mountain, which looked down upon me for four years and which I ran up once with my classmates.
 
jtbell said:
I like trains, especially electric ones. This is a closeup of part of the logo on the side of this car (not from this picture, though):

4css21877.jpg

What about electric trains makes you like them more than other types?
 
This is my beloved soccer team's logo. Monterrey F.C.
 
Cruz Martinez said:
What about electric trains makes you like them more than other types?

Train buffs develop preferences for different kinds of trains in various ways, like people develop preferences for different kinds of music. I probably got hooked on electric trains because when I was a kid, my parents and I often visited Cleveland, Ohio, where we parked our car in a suburb and rode the "Rapid" into town:

streetcar-4706-30.jpg


Cleveland also had these, which I rode a few times:

jt350.jpg


The routes still exist, but the trains use newer cars now.
 
Quantum Defect said:
This is the cover of a book my parents gave me when I was about six. There was a whole series: dinosaurs, prehistoric mammals, moths and butterflies, and this one on "Beginning Science."

As a grownup person, I really like the picture on the front--showing boys and girls having fun with science. I do volunteer work with fifth graders in the US, and the kids I work with still think science is a fun thing to do. Sometime after this, they have a rotten experience with the subject and are taught to dislike it!
May parents also bought me How and Why Wonderbooks, starting about when I was 6 or 7. I got the books on dinosaurs, prehistoric mammals, stars, planets and interplanetary travel, airplanes, flight, weather, our earth, . . . . I was destined for science and engineering.

How and Why Wonderbooks

My avatar is me.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Silicon Waffle
Blackberg said:
Coffee makes me happy.

I'll drink (you know what) to that! In fact, I'm doing it right now...
 
I'm a little slow sometimes, so my fiancée drew this turtle for me to use as my avatar on PF. My previous avatar was also a turtle drawn by fiancée. I'm a little undecided about which one to use. I like the current one because it has the atom symbol in it. But I like the previous one because it seems more aesthetically pleasing. Which one do you like best?

turtle2_zpschbdj1jm.gif
 
The one you have now. The other one bears a somewhat striking resemblance to a surprised lizard baked into a white chocolate chip cookie.
Not that it's a bad thing or anything. :wink:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Bandersnatch said:
The one you have now. The other one bears a somewhat striking resemblance to a surprised lizard baked into a white chocolate chip cookie.
Not that it's a bad thing or anything. :wink:
lol, I see the resemblance. One vote for current avatar.
 
TurtleMeister said:
lol, I see the resemblance. One vote for current avatar.
Yeah, current avatar is a winner, although I do love the old one. Kudos to your fiancee
 
My avatar is a forest nymph. I grew up in a small town in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and I spent many hours in the woods. As an adult I love hiking and backpacking. I love being in the woods!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Psinter, Silicon Waffle and Borg
lisab said:
My avatar is a forest nymph. I grew up in a small town in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and I spent many hours in the woods. As an adult I love hiking and backpacking. I love being in the woods!
Lisab, you know you're so cool. : ))
 
Mine was a happy day in the power plant, figuring out how to test a piece of equipment that does not readily submit itself to testing.
We built our own testing machine and learned how to use it.

It takes so little to make a nerd happy !
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: cnh1995
TurtleMeister said:
lol, I see the resemblance. One vote for current avatar.

Dissenting view here. I like the overhead one as the head is proportionate and it's more symbolic of 'turtle' to me.
 
I believe in balance and standing for what is right...

...

thats not as funny as the others on this thread.

Mahmoud.
 
jim hardy said:
Mine was a happy day in the power plant, figuring out how to test a piece of equipment that does not readily submit itself to testing.
We built our own testing machine and learned how to use it.

It takes so little to make a nerd happy !

Along the same line, mine is me, sitting in a creek, farting.

Hippies are also easily amused. :smile:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jim hardy
OmCheeto said:
Along the same line, mine is me, sitting in a creek, farting.
Huh. I always thought you were a bunch of water lilies. But now, what I've seen cannot be unseen.

It's a realisation not entirely unlike walking up to a girl you've found attractive only to find out up close it's your toothless, balding, bearded Medusa of an ex-wife you've been hiding from the past few years. :eek:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto
Bandersnatch said:
Huh. I always thought you were a bunch of water lilies. But now, what I've seen cannot be unseen.

It's a realisation not entirely unlike walking up to a girl you've found attractive only to find out up close it's your toothless, balding, bearded Medusa of an ex-wife you've been hiding from the past few years. :eek:

It's fun getting an explanation once in awhile. I think I've seen these "avatar" posts before.

I always thought phinds was an overly happy harp seal pup
310841.jpg
happy.harp.seal.jpeg

until I heard the "ARF"

and Ryan_m_b was just a fan, as I am, of Jeff Lynne
310350.jpg
Jeff.Lynne.jpg

curly hair, dark glasses, Britannia

Another fun thread, for us old timers, might be to see if people can remember what avatars they've used since arriving at PF.
I seem to recall that I had no knowledge of how to upload an image, and chose some random "anime" character face, with his tongue sticking out.
I also seem to recall, that people got very confused when I figured out how to upload my first(?) image.
It was of David Suzuki, in a very "Atlasesque" world on his shoulders image.

David-suzuki3.jpg


Ah ha!

lisab said:
Nov 20, 2009
I think it's your new avatar that's throwing us all off...:smile:...
That's just David Suzuki. Why would he throw anyone off?

It was time for a new avatar.
I was tired of old fish lips...
:smile:
 

Attachments

  • AtlaSuzuki.jpeg
    AtlaSuzuki.jpeg
    10.8 KB · Views: 630
My daughter.

?temp_hash=c78f0d4bf3dba31adf8a19016cd8e3a0.jpg
 

Attachments

  • First-Kick (29.8k).jpg
    First-Kick (29.8k).jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 755
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and DrClaude
I do not have one because there is no good explanation for me. Ask my wife...
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: CalcNerd and OmCheeto
A Strange Representative from a mysterious dimension, exterminated long ago.
 
Just a nice photo I took while in Paris. Maybe some mentors can explain their new avatars to us? :wink: