Why Did You Choose Your Avatar for Wikipedia?
- Thread starter hbk4894
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Explain
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
108 replies · 17K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Mentor
- 23,902
- 11,357
Agreed.
PWiz
- 695
- 117
I wouldn't call myself an anime/manga crazed fan, but I definitely like a few ones, like Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Beelzebub, Detective Conan and Death Note (but that's it - I have very specific tastes, and a lot of stuff doesn't interest me). When I joined PF, I thought about setting my avatar as a screenshot of me reaching round 39 in Black Ops 2 Zombies or the one where I nuked ******** as Russia in Civilization 5 (yeah, you must've guessed I'd be all about secrets if I choose Russia) for bragging rights, but then I finally decided to settle for a picture of Naruto and Sasuke after reading the last chapter of Naruto. (*sobs mathematically*)
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 5,850
- 554
Greatest guitarist of all time.
Psinter
- 278
- 785
I did not know what was a "nymph" so I googled "forest nymph" and was not disappointed. How come I did not know about those things? They sound awesomelisab said:My avatar is a forest nymph. I grew up in a small town in the Sierra Nevada mountains, and I spent many hours in the woods. As an adult I love hiking and backpacking. I love being in the woods!
. I also love the forests!Although alone in the forest is better (IMO). Other people hinder your speed and I like to cross those marvelous lands at high speed. You feel alive running thorugh the uneven land and nothing to stop you! Feeling the humidity of the plants razing your body while you run, and your feet getting wet too. An awesome feeling. (Rain forests are the only ones I've visited. Never been in other kind of forests. I just love them.)
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,739
Mine is a battery and light bulb apparatus radiating energy [mostly] isotropically.
I originally used it to demonstrate a thought experiment (borrowed from another person) which shows that as an object radiates energy it loses a corresponding amount of mass -- even an apparatus as simple as this one.
-------------------
I had once considered a different avatar of a sacrificial Van de Graaff Generator Monkey.
[Figure 1: Sacrificial Van de Graaff Generator Monkey]
The idea is that if there was a velociraptor attack it could be used to trigger an alarm system thus giving me approximately 0.7 seconds of more life, before being devoured by the velociraptor.
It operates by me first carrying around the Van de Graaff Generator Monkey day and night (even on the bus), keeping it powered on and activated all the time. Even to bed. You can never be too prepared. I got used to the constant noise and electrical shocks after awhile. I even sing a little ditty along with the rhythmic clanging sounds. It's sometimes popular on the bus.
Once a velociraptor breach is detected, I'll toss the Van de Graaff Generator Monkey at the velociraptor where it will be gobbled up immediately, giving the velociraptor a net electrical charge.
[Figure 2: Security breach]
Once the velociraptor has a net electric charge, it will create a magnetic field as it moves toward me at 20 m/s (max). This magnetic field is used to trigger alarms inside and outside of my house to warn my neighbors within a 0.9 mile radius, before I get gobbled up by the velociraptor.
[Figure 3: Alarm system]
In the end though, I just went with the light bulb out of laziness.
I originally used it to demonstrate a thought experiment (borrowed from another person) which shows that as an object radiates energy it loses a corresponding amount of mass -- even an apparatus as simple as this one.
-------------------
I had once considered a different avatar of a sacrificial Van de Graaff Generator Monkey.
[Figure 1: Sacrificial Van de Graaff Generator Monkey]
The idea is that if there was a velociraptor attack it could be used to trigger an alarm system thus giving me approximately 0.7 seconds of more life, before being devoured by the velociraptor.
It operates by me first carrying around the Van de Graaff Generator Monkey day and night (even on the bus), keeping it powered on and activated all the time. Even to bed. You can never be too prepared. I got used to the constant noise and electrical shocks after awhile. I even sing a little ditty along with the rhythmic clanging sounds. It's sometimes popular on the bus.
Once a velociraptor breach is detected, I'll toss the Van de Graaff Generator Monkey at the velociraptor where it will be gobbled up immediately, giving the velociraptor a net electrical charge.
[Figure 2: Security breach]
Once the velociraptor has a net electric charge, it will create a magnetic field as it moves toward me at 20 m/s (max). This magnetic field is used to trigger alarms inside and outside of my house to warn my neighbors within a 0.9 mile radius, before I get gobbled up by the velociraptor.
[Figure 3: Alarm system]
In the end though, I just went with the light bulb out of laziness.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,739
Oh, no. I think I see a velociraptor outside in the garden! 
[I don't know what one looks like for sure, but my landlord, after learning of my fears, showed me a picture of one that I used for Figure 3. How thoughful of him! (He also cautioned me that there might be velociraptors that hang out in the back garden and he would understand if I chose to consider moving, just to be on the safe side.)]
Btw, yes I'm kidding.
[I don't know what one looks like for sure, but my landlord, after learning of my fears, showed me a picture of one that I used for Figure 3. How thoughful of him! (He also cautioned me that there might be velociraptors that hang out in the back garden and he would understand if I chose to consider moving, just to be on the safe side.)]Btw, yes I'm kidding.
Last edited:
Psinter
- 278
- 785
Hey! That's a bunny.


- 13,923
- 16,802
Business idea based on collinsmark's post: velociraptor petting zoo
Science Advisor
- 14,921
- 7,631
In real life I don't look so deeply wise and smart, so my avatar is supposed to compensate for it.
Seriously, it's Bertrand Russell from Logicomix
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1596914521/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Seriously, it's Bertrand Russell from Logicomix
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1596914521/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Lisa!
Gold Member
- 672
- 96
Mine is a pic of a handicraft!
Vitreous enamel
Vitreous enamel
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
Heh, and all this time I thought it was the professor from (the modern version of) the "Astroboy" cartoon series.Demystifier said:Seriously, it's Bertrand Russell from Logicomix

Science Advisor
- 14,921
- 7,631
Googling for "astroboy professor" images givesstrangerep said:Heh, and all this time I thought it was the professor from (the modern version of) the "Astroboy" cartoon series.![]()
https://www.google.hr/search?q=astr...CFYO_FAodkTMF3Q#tbm=isch&q=astroboy+professor
This professor looks quite different.
Science Advisor
- 3,766
- 2,215
Yes, that's Professor Packidermus J. Elefun, from the original version. The name pokes fun at that professor's elephant-like appearance.Demystifier said:[...] This professor looks quite different.
There was a newer, more politically correct, remake which had a very different professor. But I only remember it vaguely.
- 20,002
- 11,120
Just me in the Paris subway maybe 3 years ago :)
UncertaintyAjay
- 230
- 31
Mine's just an awesome comic.
Plotus
A long series of disjointed feats of attention, followed by turbo cooldown.
KSG4592
- 17
- 10
Eddie and Jimmy are the kingsWannabeNewton said:Greatest guitarist of all time.
Science Advisor
- 436
- 13
Needs no explanation. :)
tfr000
- 205
- 21
Elmer Fudd, What's Opera, Doc?
A bit of satire on the typical "cool" avatar.
A bit of satire on the typical "cool" avatar.
Mentor
- 37,544
- 14,424
1SWASP J140747.93-394542.6b
Seriously, star and planet need a better name.
The (probable) planet has a gigantic ring system, about 200 times the radius (40 000 times the area!) of Saturn's system. Artist's impression, of course, but probably not so far away from reality. The central dot is too large, the actual planet should be smaller than 1 pixel.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1SWASP_J1407_b.png
Seriously, star and planet need a better name.
The (probable) planet has a gigantic ring system, about 200 times the radius (40 000 times the area!) of Saturn's system. Artist's impression, of course, but probably not so far away from reality. The central dot is too large, the actual planet should be smaller than 1 pixel.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:1SWASP_J1407_b.png
Last edited by a moderator:
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
- 7,643
- 1,602
My avatar is a picture of me in front of a whiteboard, with some of my favourite books, and with an oscilloscope that has a sine wave running up the vertical axis instead running across the horizontal axis (difficult to see, though),
Buzz Bloom
Gold Member
- 2,517
- 465
My avatar is a visualization of my nickname, Buzz, which was Buzzy from early childhood until teenage. I was dubbed Buzzy, prior to my earliest memory at age 4, by an uncle, a math teacher at a public high school. When I was older, he explained to me that the name was a descriptive adjecive.
Science Advisor
- 14,921
- 7,631
What has nothingness to do with it?micromass said:I like nothingness

Mentor
- 37,544
- 14,424
micromass had a different avatar back then.
Kevin McHugh
- 319
- 165
Sunset in my back yard. The sky was on fire that day.
Similar threads
Programs
How did you choose your STEM major?
- Daveyzombie
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 15
- zid
- · Replies 4 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 4
- Orson
- · Replies 35 ·
- General Math
- Replies
- 35
- RaulTheUCSCSlug
- · Replies 3 ·
- Science and Math Textbooks
- Replies
- 3
Engineering
How did you choose your engineering discipline?
- dangish
- · Replies 2 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 2
- momais
- · Replies 7 ·
- General Engineering
- Replies
- 7
- Robin04
- · Replies 31 ·
- Other Physics Topics
- Replies
- 31
- ColinH
- · Replies 5 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 5
- mr-tom
- · Replies 26 ·
- General Engineering
- Replies
- 26
