Why Didn't They Use the H-H Equation in the End?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hidemons
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Buffers
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Hidemons
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Here's a solved chemistry problem:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100731143735AAjKe10

Why did the answerer not use the H-H equation at the very end?
Please Help.


The H-H equation and the Ka= (H)(A)/(HA) equation (what was used in the problem) both use the same inputs and both are used to find pH. How do I pick one over the other?



(the template provided)
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hidemons said:
Here's a solved chemistry problem:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100731143735AAjKe10

Why did the answerer not use the H-H equation at the very end?
Please Help.The H-H equation and the Ka= (H)(A)/(HA) equation (what was used in the problem) both use the same inputs and both are used to find pH. How do I pick one over the other?
(the template provided)
First he found [H+] then he took logs and found pH.

Ka= (H)(A)/(HA) is equivalent practically to the HH equation.

How to pick one over the other? Use Ka= (H)(A)/(HA) because, at the stage you're at you are going to understand clearly what you're doing better than if you just apply a (forgettable) formula; this will be needed for more difficult problems you might get next.
 
epenguin said:
Ka= (H)(A)/(HA) is equivalent practically to the HH equation.

Practically or completely? I worked out the linked problem using H-H and it gives you a different answer. very frustrating
 
Practically - you have to switch things about maybe.

the HH eq. is usually given in a form like

well see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henderson–Hasselbalch_equation

I don't know what you've done but someone like you :-p easily gets pH and pK on the wrong side and mixes + and - log and (equivalently) gets the fraction upside down etc. That's why I recommend not using it, but sticking with something you understand easier.
 
Hidemons said:
Practically or completely? I worked out the linked problem using H-H and it gives you a different answer. very frustrating

Show what you did, answers should be identical. If they are different you are probably doing something wrong.

Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is just another form of Ka (see derivation on the page).