Why do fruit growers burn tires to protect orchards from frost?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kristina221
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Protection Tires
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
kristina221
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I found this question in a book about physics, but there was no explanation. Q: Why do fruit fruit growers set car tires on fire in their orchards in the clear winter mornings?
I imagine te answer would be to stop frost from forming, but I don't understand how smoke or soot could do that. The chapter is about wave-like properties of electromagnetic radiation and particles. Could soot act as a black body at 32°F (273 K)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Infrared radiation is heat and is part of the electromagnetic spectrum. And this does not belong in the advanced physics section