Why do humans see themselves as different from animals?

• Thread starter Jupiter60
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animals
In summary, the appeals court is hearing the case of a chimpanzee named Tommy and is to decide if he has the right to bodily integrity and liberty, just like a person. The question of whether human rights can transcend the species divide is simply a way of asking who we include when we talk about basic rights. While humans are primates too, many people think of themselves as something different from the animals. This may be due to ego or due to the fact that humans have a stronger social element than most animals.
DiracPool said:
What you have is a gross overdevelopment of the prefrontal cortex in higher primates and humans.
So, can higher primate's prefrontal cortexs perform all the same thinking as human's prefrontal cortexs, except that human's prefrontal cortexs do a better job?

Can a human prefrontal cortex do things which a higher primate prefrontal cortex cannot?

Idk, qualitative vs quantitative debate seems pointless to me. Nothing is qualitatively different. Everything is made of the same stuff, the only difference between things is the amount of stuff.

It seems to me all you have to do to settle your argument is precisely define your words.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
k9b4 said:
Idk, qualitative vs quantitative debate seems pointless to me. Nothing is qualitatively different. Everything is made of the same stuff, the only difference between things is the amount of stuff.

Well, now I'm not sure what camp you're in. You say the above quote, but then you said the following earlier...

k9b4 said:
Yes exactly. Humans have different capabilities. Humans are different. Humans possesses the most complex nervous system on earth. Humans are 'smarter', 'more intelligent', 'more emotional', whatever words you want to use. Our nervous system is what makes us different to other animals.

How do you reconcile that? See the problem?

But let's get back to your main distress expressed so boldly just a moment ago..

k9b4 said:
"Why do humans see themselves as different from animals?"

The answer there (IMHO) is that we are qualitatively different from animals, we just don't know why...yet.

k9b4 said:
Can a human prefrontal cortex do things which a higher primate prefrontal cortex cannot?

What do you think? Can a bonobo ape's prefrontal cortex design a printed circuit board or a turbine engine? I don't think so..

k9b4 said:
So, can higher primate's prefrontal cortexs perform all the same thinking as human's prefrontal cortexs, except that human's prefrontal cortexs do a better job?

Again, I don't think so, I think it's a lot more than just "a better job." What do you think?

DiracPool said:
Well, now I'm not sure what camp you're in. You say the above quote, but then you said the following earlier...
Hmm yes I misunderstood the word 'qualitative'. I thought that the word is meaningless because everything is made of atoms, the only difference between things is the amounts of atoms. But I forgot that the atoms must also have a position, and differences in positions of atoms means 'qualitative' differences.

I think I am in the 'humans are qualitatively different to other animals' camp. This is a very weak belief though, as I know little of the subject.

This thread is going in circles and making no progress. Yes, some people see them selves different from animals for different reasons, That's a given. That goes absolutely nowhere.