Why do I always feel so on the other side?

• Thread starter Bane
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges of studying physics, with the speaker having taken numerous classes and studied extensively, but still encountering new and complex concepts. The question is raised about whether these concepts will eventually come together or if there is simply too much to know. The conclusion is that while it is impossible to know everything, with time and a strong grasp on foundational theorems and proofs, the rest will become more clear.
Bane
I've been an on and off physics major 7 years, (I took 7 sophmore/freshman level physics classes) and studied a lot from my engineering physics texts. However, everything I come across has something new and inventive, or a different procedure of calculus being involved. Different proofs, theorems, etc. Will this all eventually mix together, or should I just accept that there is just too much to know out there?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's two parts.

Yes, there is too much to know everything, but also, yes, things will mesh together with more and more clarity as time progresses. You can't expect to know every possible derivation to every possible theorem. And just because you see a new derivation to something you have seen before does not mean you have learned new physics necessarily.

All you have to do is to know the important and basic theorems and proofs and everything else will be derivable. Unfortunately there is a lot of that type.

1. Why do I always feel like I'm on the other side?

This feeling can be caused by a variety of factors, including stress, anxiety, depression, or even a lack of sleep. It can also be a sign of disconnection from your surroundings or a feeling of detachment from reality.

2. Is there a scientific explanation for feeling like I'm on the other side?

While there is no one definitive answer, some scientists believe that this feeling may be related to the brain's processing of sensory information. It could also be linked to neurotransmitters, such as dopamine and serotonin, which play a role in mood regulation.

3. Can certain substances or medications cause this feeling?

Yes, certain drugs or medications, such as hallucinogens or antidepressants, can alter brain chemistry and potentially lead to feelings of being on the other side. It's important to talk to a healthcare professional if you are experiencing this feeling while taking medication.

4. Is feeling like I'm on the other side a sign of a mental health disorder?

Not necessarily. While this feeling can be a symptom of certain mental health disorders, it's important to consult with a mental health professional for an accurate diagnosis. It could also be a temporary feeling caused by stress or other factors.

5. How can I alleviate this feeling of being on the other side?

There is no one-size-fits-all solution, as the underlying cause of this feeling can vary greatly. Some potential strategies for managing it include practicing mindfulness and grounding techniques, seeking support from loved ones, and talking to a therapist or healthcare professional for additional support and guidance.