Why do I get -1.20606 for water's net dipole moment instead of 1.84 D?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
HelloCthulhu
Messages
150
Reaction score
3
Greeting PF!

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Physical_Chemistry/Atomic_Theory/Dipole_Moments

On the website above, I found an equation for the dipole moment of water:

"...the net dipole moment =2(1.5)xcos(104.5/2)=1.84 D."

I understand how to calculate the bond dipole. But after calculating for the net dipole, I keep getting the same wrong answer: -1.20606

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong! Thank you so much for your assistance! :]
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
I'm using an iPhone app. It has a tab for trig where I found cos(, so I don't think I have to switch modes. I've also used Google's scientific calculator and received the same answer. Was your answer 1.84?
 
But you know the difference between degrees and radians, do you?
 
Oh, wow. Totally screwed that up. Changed 104.5 radians and now I've got 1.836. Thanks Borek! :D