Why do problem sets take me so long?

• Thread starter wishyouwell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the speaker is taking Multivariable Calculus for fun, and despite having decent intuition, they struggle with completing problem sets in a timely manner. They are worried about the timed midterm and how to improve their speed and focus. Others may find the material easier, but for the speaker, computing and staying on track is a challenge. They are advised to eliminate distractions and improve organization and concentration.
wishyouwell
I'm taking Multivariable Calculus at Rice. This is for fun, I'm not required to take it and I'm not a science major.
Problem sets take me a really long time, I wonder if it's normal. We are using Vector Calculus by Marsden. The problems sets are like about 15 problems due every week. They take me so long. The last set I did took me something like 7 hours. I feel like I have decent intuition as far as how to solve a problem. But then it takes me for ever to compute stuff and I get off the track and have to start again, get lost (like I can't remember what term I last developed), etc...
I have been getting like 80-90s on set (there is always a 2-3 exercises I don't have time to do). I guess I just worry about how I can get an OK grade on a timed mid-term. How can I be faster and more focused? I mean I just want to pass, I'm taking it P/F.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone who takes Multivariable Calculus for "fun" is a very sick individual. :)

Aren't problem sets supposed to take long? That's how it was for me. The homework for some of my undergrad physics courses required at least 10 hours to finish. Anyway, time shouldn't be your primary concern. Understanding the material is the most important thing.

Oh OK. I don't know I feel like I read that some people do them in 1-2 hours. Well you only have 90 minutes at the exam so it would be a problem.

wishyouwell said:
Oh OK. I don't know I feel like I read that some people do them in 1-2 hours. Well you only have 90 minutes at the exam so it would be a problem.
Exam questions are actually easier than homework questions from my experience, mostly because of the time constraint.

wishyouwell said:

That would be for the very few people who find multivariable calculus to be easy. Most normal people must spend more time.

wishyouwell said:
But then it takes me for ever to compute stuff and I get off the track and have to start again, get lost (like I can't remember what term I last developed), etc...
What sort of computations are you talking about?

Why are you getting off track so much?

Why can't you remember what term you last developed? Aren't you writing your work down?

If you are not concentrating, getting easily distracted, or are sloppy about writing down your work, I can see why it's taking you so long to do the HW for this course. Get better organized, concentrate, and eliminate the distractions. I suspect because this is a non-credit course, you have allowed these faults to slip into your study of this subject, because there are few consequences for not staying focused.

1. Why do problem sets take me so long?

Problem sets may take longer for some people because they require critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and a solid understanding of the subject matter. Additionally, some students may struggle with time management or may need to review the material more thoroughly.

2. How can I make problem sets take less time?

One strategy to make problem sets take less time is to break them down into smaller, manageable chunks. You can also try to identify any areas where you may need extra practice or review, and focus on improving those skills. Additionally, staying organized and managing your time effectively can help reduce the overall time spent on problem sets.

3. Why do I struggle to complete problem sets in a timely manner?

There could be several reasons why you struggle to complete problem sets in a timely manner. It could be due to a lack of understanding of the material, difficulty with certain concepts, or lack of motivation. It is important to identify the root cause of the struggle in order to find effective solutions.

4. How can I improve my problem-solving skills to complete problem sets faster?

One way to improve your problem-solving skills is to practice regularly. This can include solving practice problems, attending study groups or tutoring sessions, and seeking help from your instructor. Additionally, breaking down problems into smaller steps and using different problem-solving strategies can also help improve your efficiency.

5. Is it normal for problem sets to take a long time?

Yes, it is normal for problem sets to take a long time for some people. Problem-solving and critical thinking skills take time to develop, and everyone learns at their own pace. It is important to focus on understanding the material and improving your problem-solving skills rather than comparing yourself to others.