Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical Why do we Ace(arrogance, curiosity, and enthusiam)?

1. Jul 2, 2007 #1
    A- why do we feel arrogant?
    C- Sometimes, the we don't care, other times, we seek to unmistify. Why?
    E- I like to call it the level of mental energy. What is it biologically, and does it have a limit? How does it initiates?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2007 #2
    I saw you asked for this post to be deleted - but just in case you see this....
    There is a neurotransmitter in the brain called dopamine, and when you don't produce enough, you feel unmotivated, couldn't care less, and generally blah about the world.
    When you produce more than usual, you feel motivated, focused, intensely interested; energized and curious about what you are involved in at that particular time.
    If you produce too much, via artificial means or mental disturbance, you can feel arrogant and superior. If this occurs too frequently, you can also start to get progressively more paranoid.
    That could be considered the limit, because if too much is released into your system too often, the receptors for it in your brain shut off, and you lose the ability to feel pleasure in anything, which is called "anhedonia", and a known effect of over-stimulation of this neurotransmitter. It is more complex than that, but in a nutshell, that explains (I hope?) much of what you were asking.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?