Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why do we use Cascade Refrigeration Systems?

1. Apr 23, 2017 #1
    I know that the Cascade Refrigeration Systems are more efficient than the normal Refrigeration Systems, but I still don't know why?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2017 #2
    My thought is that you have an effective bump in efficiency at phase change from gas to liquid and the farther you get from the bump the less efficient... So two bumps is better

4. Apr 23, 2017 #3
    I don't understand your opinion

5. Apr 23, 2017 #4
    Big sigh ... Yea I get that a lot

6. Apr 23, 2017 #5
    Ok so I will try to rephrase with more clarity.
    Change from let's say liquid propane to a gas eats heat. But a change from gas to a thinner gas does to just not as much. Compression of that gas to a denser gas forces out the heat but not as much as compression of the propane to a liquid. So the temperature pressure range closer to where it changes phase is more efficient at moving heat. But that is not a wide range. So you get a different gas like carbon dioxide and cool it with the propane now it's a lot easier to concentrate condense into a liquid and you can stay in the temperature band that it is efficient in.
    I hope that is better

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted