Rotary Vane Vacuum Pump Question

In summary, the narrator in the video explains that the gas pressure from the refrigerator rushes into the low-pressure chamber of the vacuum pump. The pressure in the chamber is lower because of the expanding volume created by the moving vane. This pressure difference causes the gas from the refrigerator to be drawn into the chamber. This process is similar to how a suction cup works. The pressure starts out the same, but as the volume of the chamber increases, the pressure decreases and gas is drawn in from the inlet. The pressure in the chamber decreases as the volume increases, creating a differential pressure that causes the gas from the refrigerator to rush into the chamber.
mhrob24
TL;DR Summary
What is causing the gas in the refrigerator to initially rush inside of the one chamber (I know that chamber is at a lower pressure than that of the refrigerator…..but how?)r
So in the image below from a video I watched , the narrator states “gas pressure from the refrigerator rushes into the low-pressure chamber “

So, I do understand that gas will push its way into a low-pressure area from a high-pressure (high to low)….but what I am unclear of is to how that chamber is at a lower pressure than the pressure in the refrigerator.

From what I see, the rotor spins, traps a volume of air, and that volume begins to decrease as the rotor continues its turn. Thus, pressure and temperature increase (in one of the chambers) and the gas is expelled out into the atmosphere through the outlet port. So what is causing the gas inside the refrigerator to rush into the chambers? Like, why is the one chamber at a lower pressure than that of the gas pressure inside the refrigerator?

From what I know, a lower pressure area is created when you remove gas from a trapped area (like a suction cup….it pushes the air out from inside of it and the atmospheric pressure is what’s holding it up. There is lower pressure inside of the suction cup, so the atmospheric air is trying to force its way in ). So is the gas that’s being expelled into the atmosphere causing the chambers created by the two vanes to be at a lower pressure than that of the pressure inside the refrigerator? I don’t think that can be, because it’s only when that chamber reaches a certain pressure that the valve is opened and air is released…..idk, I know I’m fundamentally screwing something up but I don’t know what. I understand how other vacuum’s work, but this is tripping me up a bit.

Attachments

• 11B74F25-1374-4A55-87A3-40AA8255BCDB.jpeg
    11B74F25-1374-4A55-87A3-40AA8255BCDB.jpeg
    39.6 KB · Views: 89
Engineering news on Phys.org
mhrob24 said:
So what is causing the gas inside the refrigerator to rush into the chambers? Like, why is the one chamber at a lower pressure than that of the gas pressure inside the refrigerator?
The moving vane (red piece labeled with #3 in the below picture) creates a vacuum as it moves by the inlet, and the pressure difference is what pushes the gas into the chamber. Notice how as the vane passes by the inlet (blue arrow) it creates a chamber that increases in volume as the vane rotates. The new, expanding chamber is essentially empty space (or would be if gas didn't rush in) since the vanes seal against the walls of the pump. The gas molecules from the inlet are pushed out into this empty space by the gas molecules 'behind' or 'upstream' of them until the other vane comes along and cuts the inlet off from this chamber.

Or, in other words, the pump creates a region of low pressure that is filled by gas from the higher pressure inlet.

1024px-Rotary_vane_pump.svg.png

Likes Lnewqban and mhrob24
mhrob24 said:
….but what I am unclear of is to how that chamber is at a lower pressure than the pressure in the refrigerator.
The pressure starts out the same. As the inlet port is exposed, the pump chamber has a minimum volume which quickly matches the pressure at the input port. The volume of the pump chamber is then increased, so the pressure falls as the total volume of the connected input and pump increases. Gas is shared between the port and pump volumes, so gas is drawn from the inlet port into the pump chamber as the volume increases and pressure falls.

Likes mhrob24 and Drakkith
Baluncore said:
The pressure starts out the same. As the inlet port is exposed, the pump chamber has a minimum volume which quickly matches the pressure at the input port. The volume of the pump chamber is then increased, so the pressure falls as the total volume of the connected input and pump increases. Gas is shared between the port and pump volumes, so gas is drawn from the inlet port into the pump chamber as the volume increases and pressure falls.
OK, I think I know what you’re saying. So just to confirm I am understanding correctly, you’re saying that as that vane passes the inlet and continues on, the volume in the chamber that's exposed to the inlet is increasing. So the pressure is decreasing in that chamber, which means that the gas in the refrigerator is draw into that chamber because it’s now at a lower pressure than the gas in the refrigerator (it WAS equal, but as the volume increased, differential pressure occurred)?

Sorry for continuing questions, but I am interning right now, and I’m working on a vacuum pump for a brake booster, so I want to be 100% sure I am explaining and comprehending this correctly. Thanks for your time (the both of you!)

Likes Baluncore
mhrob24 said:
So the pressure is decreasing in that chamber, which means that the gas in the refrigerator is draw into that chamber because it’s now at a lower pressure than the gas in the refrigerator (it WAS equal, but as the volume increased, differential pressure occurred)?
Yes, that's right.

Likes mhrob24
Drakkith said:
Yes, that's right.
Thank you both!

Likes berkeman

1. What is a rotary vane vacuum pump?

A rotary vane vacuum pump is a type of mechanical pump used to create a vacuum by removing gas molecules from a sealed chamber. It works by using rotating vanes to compress and transfer gas from the inlet to the outlet, creating a low pressure environment.

2. How does a rotary vane vacuum pump work?

A rotary vane vacuum pump works by using a series of rotating vanes, typically made of graphite or plastic, to compress gas molecules and transfer them from the inlet to the outlet. As the vanes rotate, they create chambers of varying sizes, which allows gas to be drawn in and compressed before being expelled out of the outlet.

3. What are the main components of a rotary vane vacuum pump?

The main components of a rotary vane vacuum pump include the housing, the rotor, the vanes, the inlet and outlet ports, and the oil reservoir. The housing contains the rotor and vanes, while the inlet and outlet ports allow gas to enter and exit the pump. The oil reservoir provides lubrication for the vanes and helps to maintain a seal between the rotor and housing.

4. What are the common applications of rotary vane vacuum pumps?

Rotary vane vacuum pumps are commonly used in a variety of applications, including vacuum packaging, degassing, vacuum distillation, and vacuum drying. They are also used in industries such as pharmaceuticals, food processing, and chemical processing, as well as in scientific research and laboratory settings.

5. How do I maintain and troubleshoot a rotary vane vacuum pump?

To maintain a rotary vane vacuum pump, it is important to regularly change the oil, clean the inlet and outlet ports, and check for any wear and tear on the vanes. If the pump is not working properly, common troubleshooting steps include checking for leaks, ensuring the oil level is adequate, and inspecting the vanes for damage. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper maintenance and troubleshooting procedures.