Why does a free particle in an infinite well have uncertainty bigger than h/2 ?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
4 replies · 2K views
drop_out_kid
Messages
34
Reaction score
2
Homework Statement
verify the uncertainty principle by wave function of infinite well free particle(ground state)
Relevant Equations
\sai(x)=\sqrt {2/L} sin(Pi*x/L)dx
So I think I use the right approach and I get uncertainty like this:
1650392221348.png


And it's interval irrelevant(ofc),

So what kind of wave function gives us \h_bar / 2 ? I guess a normal curve? if so, why is normal curve could be? if not then what's kind of wave function can reach the lower bound
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Supplyment:
For <x^2>

1650392441964.png

for <x> it's simply L/2

for <p> it's simply 0

for <p^2> it's
1650392576119.png
by sin^2 integration.
 
drop_out_kid said:
So what kind of wave function gives us \h_bar / 2 ? I guess a normal curve? if so, why is normal curve could be? if not then what's kind of wave function can reach the lower bound
Try the ground state for the harmonic oscillator of mass ##m## and frequency ##\omega##.
 
kuruman said:
Try the ground state for the harmonic oscillator of mass ##m## and frequency ##\omega##.
Sorry I didn't get what that even is. We didn't learned that, I assume that's a ground state sinusoidal wave function?
 
drop_out_kid said:
Sorry I didn't get what that even is. We didn't learned that, I assume that's a ground state sinusoidal wave function?
You asked and I replied. It is a Gaussian, $$\psi_0(x)=\left(\frac{m\omega}{\pi \hbar}\right)^{1/4}e^{-\frac{m \omega}{2\hbar}x^2}.$$Try it.