Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does a jet look like this when it breaks the sound barrier?

1. Nov 24, 2005 #1
    This pic is really cool, it looksl ike a cloud. I'm only 17, so dont know much physics, i hope someone can explain this in an easier way. Why does it look like a cloud

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

It is a cloud. The pressure change from supersonic flight can cause moisture to condense out of the air if conditions are right. Take a look a some of the links in the 'sonic boom question' thread.

4. Nov 24, 2005 #3

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll guess that it's because there is a rapid pressure drop which causes the moisture in the air to condense.

5. Nov 25, 2005 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

6. Nov 25, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Theres a somewhat widespread video of a jet doing a supersonic flyby of an aircraft carrier and you can see the cloud forming.

7. Nov 25, 2005 #6

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Nov 25, 2005 #7

ranger

Gold Member

That pic looks great for something moving at the speed of sound!! How would one photograph something like this?

9. Nov 25, 2005 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There really isn't anything special about taking a picture like that - people take pictures of planes at air shows that are going maybe 3/4 that speed. You'd need a decent camera - with a some good zoom and fast shutter speed. It's just you don't often get the chance to see such a thing going above mach one at low altitude. The sonic boom from a plane that big, if it was really low (500 feet) would probably knock you over and maybe blow-out your eardrums. The only sonic boom I've ever heard was 50 miles off New York, so it was probably a Concorde at 40,000 feet, but it still sounded like nearby fireworks.

10. Nov 25, 2005 #9

ranger

Gold Member

At first I thought we needed a special camera or something to do this. Thanks for clearing it up.

11. Nov 26, 2005 #10

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?