1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why does a jet look like this when it breaks the sound barrier?

1. Nov 24, 2005 #1
    This pic is really cool, it looksl ike a cloud. I'm only 17, so dont know much physics, i hope someone can explain this in an easier way. Why does it look like a cloud

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

It is a cloud. The pressure change from supersonic flight can cause moisture to condense out of the air if conditions are right. Take a look a some of the links in the 'sonic boom question' thread.

4. Nov 24, 2005 #3

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'll guess that it's because there is a rapid pressure drop which causes the moisture in the air to condense.

5. Nov 25, 2005 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

6. Nov 25, 2005 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Theres a somewhat widespread video of a jet doing a supersonic flyby of an aircraft carrier and you can see the cloud forming.

7. Nov 25, 2005 #6

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Nov 25, 2005 #7

ranger

Gold Member

That pic looks great for something moving at the speed of sound!! How would one photograph something like this?

9. Nov 25, 2005 #8

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There really isn't anything special about taking a picture like that - people take pictures of planes at air shows that are going maybe 3/4 that speed. You'd need a decent camera - with a some good zoom and fast shutter speed. It's just you don't often get the chance to see such a thing going above mach one at low altitude. The sonic boom from a plane that big, if it was really low (500 feet) would probably knock you over and maybe blow-out your eardrums. The only sonic boom I've ever heard was 50 miles off New York, so it was probably a Concorde at 40,000 feet, but it still sounded like nearby fireworks.

10. Nov 25, 2005 #9

ranger

Gold Member

At first I thought we needed a special camera or something to do this. Thanks for clearing it up.

11. Nov 26, 2005 #10

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?