Why does a pendulum in a car swing outwards when the car drives in a circle?

  • Thread starter Thread starter zaddyzad
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Car Pendulum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
zaddyzad
Messages
149
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



If we attach a pendulum to the roof of a car and drive the car in a circle, why does the circle swing outwards away from the center of the circle.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I don't understand the idea that inertia causes this, can some 1 clarify this for me.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Same idea of swinging a mass at the end of a string, what keeps the mass at the end of the string, I don't understand the idea of "centripetal force". In quotations because I know its not really a force.
 
What keeps the mass at the end of the string? The string does. The object is trying to move in a straight line, but the string is causing a constant acceleration towards the center of the circle.