Why does an OPA produce squeezed signal and idler photons?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter epsilon
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Effects Light
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
epsilon
Messages
29
Reaction score
1
I am currently reading around about squeezed light. I understand as far as the Second-Harmonic Generation (SHG) and Optical Parametric Amplifier (OPA) work, however I do not understand why the signal and idler photons that are produced by the OPA are a squeezed state.

All diagrams that I have seen show the pump and seed beams entering the OPA, and then the signal and idler beams leaving, with the label "squeezed". A lot of the literature seems to plainly state that the strong entanglement of the photons (I understand what that is) produces the squeezed state. I do not see that connection myself. If you could please give a physical explanation prior to using any mathematics that would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks in advance!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you haven't yet received a helpful answer, you should probably say which papers/books you're reading on this subject. E.g., have you studied the textbook of Mandel & Wolf? (That's my primary go-to book for many questions in quantum optics)?

Also, instead of saying "a lot of the literature...", give some specific references and/or links.