Why does anger makes us feel tired when its over?

• Thread starter Skhandelwal
  • Start date
In summary: However, when we are angry, our body goes into a state of hyper-arousal, using up lots of energy and causing physical strain that can lead to fatigue and sleepiness.In summary, our body expends energy when we use self-control, which can lead to fatigue and irritability. This is why we may feel tired even without physical exertion. When we are angry, our body goes into a state of hyper-arousal, causing physical strain and exhaustion. This is why we may feel tired and sleepy after an outburst of anger. On the other hand, when we are doing something enjoyable, the release of endorphins counteracts the exhaustion, allowing us to feel energized and alert.
Skhandelwal
I mean we didn't even use any of our energy. We didn't even work out, but we still got tired. How?

Biology news on Phys.org
Because we do use lots of our energy. I think our whole sympathetic nervous system goes on hyper-drive -- blood vessel dilation, increased breathing rate and heart rate, brain and senses working hard at being super-alert, etc.

I was reading a short, half-page article in the June/July 2007 issue of Scientific American Mind, by Siri Carpenter (page 11 for me). It talks about when people bottle up their irritations throughout the day, and that "a single, brief act of self-control expends some of the body's fuel." This is what makes us snap sometimes -- we simply don't have the energy to keep hiding our irration to various occurances. So I'd imagine that when you display your anger, you are already low on energy, so it doesn't take as much to tire you out.

Either way, I think that the strain on your cardiovascular system is enough to tire you out, whether you were already low on energy or not.

How come when we are excited, we tend to gain more and more energy, have no side effects, and don't feel drained out but normal when its over...however, when we are enraged...We have energy blasts but also moments when we feel like we are tons heavy, extremely sleepy all the time but may not be able to sleep, etc.

When we are doing something we enjoy, the brain releases endorphins (happiness hormones) that counteract the exhuastion.

Why Does Anger Make Us Feel Tired When It's Over?

Anger is a powerful emotion that can have physical and psychological effects on our bodies. One common experience is feeling tired or exhausted after the anger has subsided. Let's explore some common questions about why anger can lead to fatigue:

Q1: Why Do I Feel Tired After Getting Angry?

Feeling tired after experiencing anger is a normal response. When you become angry, your body goes through a series of physiological changes, including the release of stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol. These hormones prepare your body for a "fight or flight" response, increasing your heart rate and energy levels to deal with the perceived threat.

However, when the anger dissipates and the threat is no longer present, your body needs to return to its normal state. This process can be physically and mentally draining, leading to feelings of tiredness and exhaustion.

Q2: What Happens Physiologically When We Get Angry?

When you experience anger, several physiological changes occur:

• Increased Heart Rate: Your heart rate increases to pump more blood to muscles and vital organs in preparation for action.
  • Elevated Blood Pressure: Blood pressure rises to ensure adequate oxygen and nutrients reach your body's tissues.
  • Rapid Breathing: Breathing becomes faster to provide oxygen for heightened physical activity.
  • Release of Stress Hormones: Your body releases stress hormones like adrenaline and cortisol to boost energy levels.
  • Muscle Tension: Muscles tense up, ready for action or defense.

Q3: Why Does the "Fight or Flight" Response Make Us Tired?

The "fight or flight" response is designed to be a short-term reaction to immediate threats. It's a survival mechanism that mobilizes your body's resources to deal with danger. However, sustaining this heightened state of alertness can be exhausting, both physically and mentally.

When anger triggers the "fight or flight" response, your body expends a significant amount of energy. Once the threat (real or perceived) is resolved, your body needs to recover and return to a state of rest. This recovery process can leave you feeling drained and tired.

Q4: How Can I Manage the Fatigue After Anger?

Managing post-anger fatigue involves relaxation and self-care techniques:

• Deep Breathing: Practice deep breathing exercises to calm your body and mind.
  • Physical Activity: Engage in light physical activity, like walking, to help release built-up tension.
  • Stress Reduction: Incorporate stress-reduction techniques such as meditation, mindfulness, or yoga into your routine.
  • Healthy Sleep: Ensure you get adequate sleep to recover and rejuvenate your body.
  • Express Your Feelings: Talk to a trusted friend or therapist about your anger and emotions.

In summary, feeling tired after experiencing anger is a natural response due to the physiological changes that occur during the "fight or flight" response. Managing post-anger fatigue involves relaxation techniques and self-care to help your body recover and return to a state of balance.