Why does BIDMAS not always apply to squaring negative numbers?

In summary: I mean).In summary, the conversation discusses the order of operations in mathematics, specifically BIDMAS, and how it applies to negative numbers and square roots. It is clarified that -52 is equal to -25, not 25, and that the calculation for -52 involves squaring a number and then taking the negative. The conversation also touches on the misconception that the square root of a negative number is always a negative number, when in fact it is a complex number. The conversation ends with a reminder to be respectful when addressing potential misunderstandings with a teacher.
1MileCrash said:
Furthermore, in general, if you have an equation with some "x", when you put a value in it, you should always put parenthesis around it, because otherwise you can lose any meaning of x if x itself contains operations.

For example, if I have ##2x + x^{2}## and I want to replace x with "y + z," the way to do that is to write ##2(y + z) + (y + z)^{2}##. If I don't put those parenthesis for the first term, I am not doubling x, or y + z, I am doubling y and then adding z afterwards, and a similar problem arises for the second term.

Yeah, awesome, I understand that.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
AlfieD said:
But if you substitute ##x## for it's value of -1, so ##x##2 would become -12, which would be -1. Or does it not go to that when you change it?

I told you to use parentheses. Then x2 for x=-1 becomes (-1)2 and there is no ambiguity.

Besides, linking here to another thread you started two separate discussions on the same subject. It always means mess. I am locking this thread.