Why does charging time scale linearly with RC if the voltage curve is exponential?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
jaejoon89
Messages
187
Reaction score
0
Why is time in a series RC circuit linearly dependent on capacitance as charging/discharging time is increased? (same with resistance) I thought RC circuits were exponential.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please don't think I'm being rude. I'm just picky. I want to be helpful, but I'm getting sleepy, so this will be terse.



jaejoon89 said:
Why is time in a series RC circuit linearly dependent on capacitance as charging/discharging time is increased?
I can only assume that you mean "time constant" for the first "time" in this sentence. This is just a consequence of the very simple definition.



jaejoon89 said:
I thought RC circuits were exponential.
This doesn't mean anything. Perhaps you mean that the dependence of the value of some electrical property depends exponentially on time?
 
Or to put it another way:

The voltage and current are exponential functions of time.

The time required for the voltage or current to reach a specific value is proportional to RC. For example, the time in which the capacitor voltage reaches 50% of its final value.