WHY does curvature of a convex lens affect focal length?

In summary, the conversation discusses a high school physics coursework on investigating factors affecting the focal length of a lens, specifically focusing on radii of curvature. The individual has collected data and verified its accuracy using the lens makers equation, but is struggling to explain in common language how and why curvature affects focal length. The explanation involves understanding that refraction is caused at the boundary between glass and air due to different densities, and how a more curved surface bends light more and decreases the focal length. The individual also mentions using a compass and protractor to investigate this concept further.
Anf31ld

Homework Statement

For my high school physics coursework I must investigate factors affecting the focal length of a lens. I have focused on radii of curvature and completed my data collection and verified the accuracy using the lens makers equation. However, in the conclusion I am really struggling to explain in common language both why and how the curvature affects the focal length. Clearly as the lens becomes more curved the light is bent more and the focal length is shorter but I cannot confidently explain why this happens. I understand that the refraction is caused at the boundary between the glass and air due to the different densities of the materials but I cannot explain how the curvature impacts this. Any help anyone could give me would be hugely appreciated.

The Attempt at a Solution

As the light waves pass from air into the glass they encounter a more dense material and as a result the average speed of the light decreases and this causes the light to refract towards the normal. A more curved surface bends the light more and as a consequence decreases the focal length. This is because ... this is where I get very confused

Physics news on Phys.org
The curve means that the same direction light hits different parts of the lens at different angles wrt the normal and the normal is pointing in different directions too.

The way to investigate this is to draw a curved surface carefully - use a compass.
Decide on a refractive index.
Draw a bunch of parallel rays incedent - 4-5 will do.
Use a protractor to draw the refracted rays in each case.
See where they cross.

Repeat with a different curvature.

1. Why does the curvature of a convex lens affect focal length?

The curvature of a convex lens affects focal length because it determines the shape of the lens and the way it bends light. A convex lens has a thicker center and thinner edges, causing light rays to converge towards a focal point. The degree of curvature determines the strength of the lens, which in turn affects the distance of the focal point from the lens.

2. How does the curvature of a convex lens impact the magnification of an object?

The curvature of a convex lens affects the magnification of an object by determining the distance between the lens and the object, as well as the distance between the lens and the image formed. A higher degree of curvature will result in a shorter focal length, which allows for a larger magnification of the object.

3. Does the curvature of a convex lens affect the clarity of the image formed?

Yes, the curvature of a convex lens does affect the clarity of the image formed. A lens with a higher degree of curvature will produce a sharper and clearer image compared to a lens with a lower degree of curvature. This is because a highly curved lens has a smaller focal point, which allows for a more precise convergence of light rays.

4. How does the curvature of a convex lens differ from that of a concave lens?

The curvature of a convex lens differs from that of a concave lens in that a convex lens bulges outwards in the middle, while a concave lens curves inward. This difference in curvature causes light rays to either converge or diverge, resulting in different focal lengths and image formations.

5. Can the curvature of a convex lens be changed?

Yes, the curvature of a convex lens can be changed by applying pressure to the lens or by altering its shape. This can be done through processes such as grinding, polishing, or molding. By changing the curvature, the focal length and image formation of the lens can be adjusted to suit different needs and purposes.