Why does d/dx (dy/dx)² give 2(d²y/dx²) and not 2(dy/dx)(d²y/dx²)?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Mgarrettny
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Chain Chain rule
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Mgarrettny
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Can someone help me out with what I believe who.d be a straight chain rule application?

D/dx (dy/dx)^2

I would think, applying the chain rule, you get

2 (dy/dx) d/dx (dy/dx) = 2 (dy/dx) (d2y/dx2)

But, from the papers I checked, the (dy/dx) in the answer goes away, leaving just

2 (d2y/dx2)

What am I missing?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you rewrite your question in LaTex? I don't quite follow what you are saying.
 
Mgarrettny said:
Can someone help me out with what I believe who.d be a straight chain rule application?

D/dx (dy/dx)^2

I would think, applying the chain rule, you get

2 (dy/dx) d/dx (dy/dx) = 2 (dy/dx) (d2y/dx2)

But, from the papers I checked, the (dy/dx) in the answer goes away, leaving just

2 (d2y/dx2)

What am I missing?

If you have referred correctly to the paper, the paper is wrong.
 
Thanks arildo, especially for the light speed reply. The paper was right, it was I who was wrong. I did not realize the paper was differentiating by y not x. Mea culpa.