1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why Does Density Affect the Density of its Container?

1. Aug 7, 2015 #1
    I've never been able to figure this out. I can understand when you put oil in water that one floats on top of the other, but why does it still work if I put it into a balloon? Something that keeps it from directly interacting with the medium it's in?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 8, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Why should oil and water behave differently in a balloon (compared to what, a bucket)? The heavier medium feels a greater force per volume to go downwards, so energy can be released by the separation.

4. Aug 8, 2015 #3
    Sorry I didn't clarify, I meant in a atomic level, what is happening that causes buoyancy?

5. Aug 8, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The force differences. It doesn't matter at which scale you look at it.

6. Aug 8, 2015 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Forgetting about floating and sinking, which are macroscopic issues, the definition of density is the same on any scale.
    Density = Mass per unit volume
    You get the same answer if you are dealing with a bucket sized sample or a single, whole molecule. Looking inside a molecule, the Mass is not distributed uniformly so the dense bits will be the nuclei and there will be ( mostly) empty space in between occupied by some electrons.
    When your substances are fluids, on the ground, the more dense substance will fall down and displace the less dense. That is a universal rule unless there is some chemical reaction between the two substances.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook