1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why Does E=mc^2 Imply Creation of Particles?

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    Many references of quantum field theory begin with an explanation of the necessity of a field theory as opposed to a single particle theory. Sometimes they use the argument that E=mc^2 implies particle creation.
    For example, in Peskin "the Einstein relation E=mc^2 allows for the creation of particle-antiparticle pairs" (page 13).

How does Einstein's relation imply the possibility of creation of particles? Seems to me that you might as well say that the kinetic energy formula Ek=(1/2)mv^2 implies creation of particles.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

E=mc^2 (or, better, ##E^2=(mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2##) alone does not show that particle creation is possible. It just shows that mass has a corresponding energy, and indicates that it might be possible to get particles if you have that energy available.

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3
    I don't think that at first that was considered. Attention focussed on the possibility of obtaining energy from mass. (Energy from KE is a no-brainer)

Of course, experiments rapidly threw up the fact of matter/energy conversion both ways.
    Then it becomes somewhat obvious with hindsight that E= etc. implies creation.

5. Nov 3, 2012 #4

K^2

Science Advisor

It's a really sloppy statement. E²=p²c²+(mc²)² is where you get Dirac equation from, but even that merely predicts existence of anti-particles. Not of creation/annihilation process. You can only get pair creation/annihilation once you consider field theory. The motivation for that has to come from experiment.

I'm not really sure why Peskin and Shroeder put it that way. I thought there might be some context loss, but no, that's all they say on the matter.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook