Why Does H ∩ K = {e} Imply G Has Only One Element of Order 3?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Samuelb88
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 3K views
Samuelb88
Messages
160
Reaction score
0
Lemma. A group [itex]G[/itex] of order 6 can have only one element of order 3.

Pf. Suppose [itex]G[/itex] has two elements of order 3. Call these elements [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex]. Let [itex]H[/itex] and [itex]K[/itex] be the subgroups generated by [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] resp. Then [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex] and therefore [itex]G[/itex] can have only one subgroup of order 3.

I'm reading over my notes from class and I'm confused on the reasoning here. Why does [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex] imply that [itex]G[/itex] can have only one element of order 3?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How many elements does

[tex]HK=\{hk~\vert~h\in H,k\in K\}[/tex]

have if [itex]H\cap K=\{e\}[/itex]. That is, can you find more than 6 elements in this group?
 
Hi micromass.

Let [itex]H = \{ e, x, x^2 \}[/itex], and let [itex]K = \{ e, y, y^2 \}[/itex]. If [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex], then [itex]HK = \{ e, xy, x^2y, x^2y, x^2y^2, yx, yx^2, y^2x, y^2x^2 \}[/itex] and [itex]|HK| = 9[/itex]. And since [itex]e, x, x^2, y, y^2[/itex] are unique, therefore there products constitute unique elements. Thus [itex]G[/itex] can have only one element of order 3.
 
Samuelb88 said:
Hi micromass.

Let [itex]H = \{ e, x, x^2 \}[/itex], and let [itex]K = \{ e, y, y^2 \}[/itex]. If [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex], then [itex]HK = \{ e, xy, x^2y, x^2y, x^2y^2, yx, yx^2, y^2x, y^2x^2 \}[/itex] and [itex]|HK| = 9[/itex]. And since [itex]e, x, x^2, y, y^2[/itex] are unique, therefore there products constitute unique elements. Thus [itex]G[/itex] can have only one element of order 3.

No, that's not correct. Why can't xy=yx, for example?? Furthermore, you forgot x,y,x2 and y2.

Let's consider this set:

[tex]\{e,x,x^2,y,xy,x^2y,y^2xy^2x^2,y^2\}[/tex]

Can you show that all of these elements are distinct from each other??
 
Bummer. That was my wishful reasoning there. Well by cancellation laws, I can determine that:

1. [itex]x \neq x^2[/itex] since if they were equal, this would imply [itex]x=e[/itex], but [itex]x[/itex] has order 3.
2. [itex]x \neq y[/itex], by assumption.
3. [itex]x \neq xy[/itex] since [itex]y \neq e[/itex].
4. [itex]x \neq x^2 y[/itex] since if they were equal, by cancellation laws, it would follow that [itex]x^{-1} = x^2 = y[/itex], which can't happen since [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] generate unique elements.
5. [itex]x \neq y^2 x y^2 x^2[/itex] since if they were equal, it would follow that [itex]y=e[/itex].
6. [itex]x \neq y^2[/itex] since [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] generate unique elements.

A argument that the other elements are not equal is similar.
 
Samuelb88 said:
Bummer. That was my wishful reasoning there. Well by cancellation laws, I can determine that:

1. [itex]x \neq x^2[/itex] since if they were equal, this would imply [itex]x=e[/itex], but [itex]x[/itex] has order 3.
2. [itex]x \neq y[/itex], by assumption.
3. [itex]x \neq xy[/itex] since [itex]y \neq e[/itex].
4. [itex]x \neq x^2 y[/itex] since if they were equal, by cancellation laws, it would follow that [itex]x^{-1} = x^2 = y[/itex], which can't happen since [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] generate unique elements.
5. [itex]x \neq y^2 x y^2 x^2[/itex] since if they were equal, it would follow that [itex]y=e[/itex].
6. [itex]x \neq y^2[/itex] since [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] generate unique elements.

A argument that the other elements are not equal is similar.

Uuuh, ok, that's good. But you can do things a lot easier. We just need to prove that

[tex]hk\neq h^\prime k^\prime[/tex]

for h,h' in H and k,k' in K. But if equality holds then

[tex]h^\prime h =k^\prime k\in H\cap K[/tex]

that's what your professor wants you to do.
 
Okay, I think I see how to do this. Suppose [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex]. I want to suppose that there exists [itex]h, h' \in H[/itex] and [itex]k, k' \in K[/itex] such that [itex]hk = h'k'[/itex]. It follows that [itex]h^{-1}h' = kk'^{-1}[/itex]. Let [itex]h'' = h^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]k'' = k'^{-1}[/itex] and get [itex]h'' h' = k k''[/itex]. But this would imply both [itex]h'' h[/itex] and [itex]k k''[/itex] belong to [itex]H \cap K[/itex], a contradiction. How does this look?
 
Samuelb88 said:
Okay, I think I see how to do this. Suppose [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex]. I want to suppose that there exists [itex]h, h' \in H[/itex] and [itex]k, k' \in K[/itex] such that [itex]hk = h'k'[/itex]. It follows that [itex]h^{-1}h' = kk'^{-1}[/itex]. Let [itex]h'' = h^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]k'' = k'^{-1}[/itex] and get [itex]h'' h' = k k''[/itex]. But this would imply both [itex]h'' h[/itex] and [itex]k k''[/itex] belong to [itex]H \cap K[/itex], a contradiction. How does this look?

Why is this a contradiction? Why can't both h''h and k'' be in [itex]H\cap K[/itex]?
 
I was thinking that it was contradiction to my assumption that [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex], but now I realize that [itex]h^{-1} h'[/itex] could equal the identity. But it seems strange to me that for different elements [itex]h, h', k, k'[/itex] that if [itex]hk = h'k'[/itex] then [itex]h h'^{-1}[/itex] could be the identity because wouldn't that be saying h=h' and k=k'? That is why I thought that if I showed that [itex]hk=h'k'[/itex] implied [itex]h'' h'[/itex] and [itex]kk''[/itex] belonged to [itex]H \cap K[/itex], it would contradict my supposition since I was assuming [itex]h'' h' \neq e[/itex].
 
Last edited:
Samuelb88 said:
I was thinking that it was contradiction to my assumption that [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex], but now I realize that [itex]h^{-1} h'[/itex] could equal the identity. But it seems strange to me that for different elements [itex]h, h', k, k'[/itex] that if [itex]hk = h'k'[/itex] then [itex]h h'^{-1}[/itex] could be the identity because wouldn't that be saying h=h' and k=k'? That is why I thought that if I showed that [itex]hk=h'k'[/itex] implied [itex]h'' h'[/itex] and [itex]kk''[/itex] belonged to [itex]H \cap K[/itex], it would contradict my supposition since I was assuming [itex]h'' h' \neq e[/itex].

Yes, indeed, so if hk=h'k', then you have h=h' and k=k'. Wasn't this what you needed to show?
 
So what you're saying is instead of citing a contradiction, what I should of concluded from my proof above that since [itex]h'h''[/itex] and [itex]kk''[/itex] belong to [itex]H \cap K[/itex], it follows that [itex]h'h'' = e = kk''[/itex] since [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex]. Thus [itex]h=h'[/itex] and [itex]k=k'[/itex].
 
Samuelb88 said:
So what you're saying is instead of citing a contradiction, what I should of concluded from my proof above that since [itex]h'h''[/itex] and [itex]kk''[/itex] belong to [itex]H \cap K[/itex], it follows that [itex]h'h'' = e = kk''[/itex] since [itex]H \cap K = \{ e \}[/itex]. Thus [itex]h=h'[/itex] and [itex]k=k'[/itex].

Yes!