Why Does LaTeX Show Invalid for Simple Math Inputs?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter HallsofIvy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around issues with a computer after an electrical storm and problems with LaTex on a forum. The participants also discussed different mathematical equations and tests.
HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I'm back! My fiancee's computer went down after an electrical storm. (She had it plugged into a surge suppressor but there was a lightning strike within 100 yards. Apparently it was not suppressible!)

Anyway, now that I am home I see that my LaTex always gives "invalid" even for something as simple as [ tex ]\theta[ /tex ].
[tex]\theta[/itex]

Any one know why that is happening?

Physics news on Phys.org
We've had a bit of server trouble Halls. Here is Hoot's announcement about our LaTeX problems.

https://www.physicsforums.com/announcement.php?f=17

Last edited by a moderator:
Test 7...

[itex]E=mc^5[/itex]

Last edited:
Test 8...

[itex]E=mc^8[/itex]

Test 9...

[itex]E=mc^9[/itex]

Test...

[itex]E=mc^2[/itex]

-Warren

Test:

[itex]2^{14}[/itex]

- Warren

Test:

[itex]2^{16}[/itex]

Test:

[itex]2^{16}[/itex]

Test:

[itex]2^{17}[/itex]

Test:

[itex]2^{18}[/itex]

Test:

[itex]2^{20}[/itex]

Test:

[itex]2^{20} 2^{21}[/itex]

Test:

[itex]
2^{20} 2^{21}
[/itex]

Another test:

[itex]
2^{20} 2^{21}
[/itex]

Testing 11

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\chi(n) }{n^{s}}=\prod_{p\in\mathbb{P}}\left(\frac{1}{1-\frac{\chi(p)}{p^{s}}}\right)
[/tex]

And testing inline:

[itex]E = mc^2 \textrm{some long junk, too}[/itex]

and

[itex]a=b[/itex]

- Warren

Last edited:
Testing trim 3...

[tex]
\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\chi(n) }{n^{s}}=\prod_{p\in\mathbb{P}}\left(\frac{1}{1-\frac{\chi(p)}{p^{s}}}\right)
[/tex]

And testing inline: [itex]E = mc^6[/itex] and [itex]a=c=m=d[/itex]

- Warren

Last edited:

Related to Why Does LaTeX Show Invalid for Simple Math Inputs?

What is a "Latex Problem"?

A "Latex Problem" is an issue that arises when using the typesetting language LaTeX to format mathematical equations. It can refer to a specific error or difficulty encountered while using LaTeX, or to a more general problem with the code or formatting.

What does it mean when a "Latex Problem" is labeled as "Invalid for Simple Math Question"?

When a "Latex Problem" is labeled as "Invalid for Simple Math Question," it means that the code or formatting used is not appropriate for a simple mathematical question. This could be due to a mistake in the code, a more complex equation that requires a different format, or an issue with the typesetting software.

How can I fix a "Latex Problem" labeled as "Invalid for Simple Math Question"?

The best way to fix a "Latex Problem" labeled as "Invalid for Simple Math Question" is to carefully review the code and make sure it is correct and appropriate for the type of equation being formatted. If the code is correct, it may be necessary to use a different format or change the typesetting software to resolve the issue.

Are there any common mistakes that lead to "Latex Problems" labeled as "Invalid for Simple Math Question"?

Yes, there are several common mistakes that can lead to "Latex Problems" labeled as "Invalid for Simple Math Question." These include using incorrect or incomplete code, using the wrong typesetting package or software, or using a format that is not appropriate for the equation being formatted.

Is there any way to prevent "Latex Problems" labeled as "Invalid for Simple Math Question" from occurring?

While it is not possible to prevent all "Latex Problems" from occurring, there are steps that can be taken to minimize the likelihood of encountering issues labeled as "Invalid for Simple Math Question." This includes carefully checking and testing code before using it, using appropriate typesetting packages and software, and being aware of common mistakes that can lead to these types of problems.