Why Does My Calculation of Ro Result in Zero for a Thermistor?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lionely
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Graph
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 8K views
lionely
Messages
574
Reaction score
2
53lqme.jpg


The resistance,R, of a thermistor varies with absolute temperature according to the following equation:

R= R0 ek/T


I was asked to find the constant k using the graph.

I put the equation given in the form

ln R= k/t + lnR0

k would be the gradient. So I found the gradient from the graph and I got 2968.80

then I was asked to find Ro

so I used a point off the graph and the gradient

point (2.88,4.3)

4.3 = lnRo + (2968.80/2.88)

=> lnRo = -1.031 x 106

then I took anti logs and got Ro = 0 . Which i think is wrong...

Guidance appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lionely said:
point (2.88,4.3)

Should the 2.88 be multiplied by 10 to some power?

4.3 = lnRo + (2968.80/2.88)

Do you really want to divide here?
 
Oh yeah the 2.88 should be 2.88 x 10^-3

and yeah wouldn't I divide? Isn't it k/T?
 
lionely said:
and yeah wouldn't I divide? Isn't it k/T?

k/T says to divide by T. But you're graphing 1/T, not T.
 
That looks ok. But, I find the graph has a slope (gradient) closer to 2850. That would change the result for Ro somewhat.
 
Oh what did you use for your values to find the gradient? I used (3.52*10^-3 , 6.2)

(2.88 * 10^-3, 4.3)
 
When finding the gradient, it's best to pick two points on the line rather than picking two data points. The data points generally don't lie directly on the best fit line. Also, it's best to pick two points fairly far apart.

I picked the two points shown in the attached figure.
 
Attachments
  • Graph.jpg
    Graph.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,157
Also, note that you cannot expect to get a gradient more precise than 3 significant figures for this graph.