Why does my cat meow a lot after she catches a prey?

1. I've a white cat. She is semi-domesticated, i.e she spends half of her time inside our house and half of her time roaming outside.She visits our apartment on the 5th floor of the building. Whenever she catches a prey be it a rat or a pigeon , she has a tendency to meow a lot in front of us. She meows a lot more than usual ,after she has caught a prey. Is this behavior common in cats. And does anybody know ,whether there is a reason behind it.
    She also tosses the dead body of her prey around and seems to be playing with it before getting down to eat it.

Here's an image , perhaps that could help find an answer to my query. :biggrin:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Evo

Staff: Mentor

What a cutie!!! She may just want to be praised for the kill.

4. Or is it because she wants to share food with us ? Give-and-take, maybe ? We give her cat-food ,so on occasion , when she brings home food, she maybe wanting us to have a bite or two.
    How do cats view their owners is a question that props up in my mind. Cats in the wild are solitary animals. So question of sharing food with other cats is out of the question. But cats do share food with their dependent kittens. So do the cats view their owners in ways similar to how they view their kittens ? Or am I being just too optimistic about getting to share kill with the cat. Maybe, all she wants is praise as you pointed out.

5. Evo

You are correct, they do treat owners like kittens.

http://www.perfectpaws.com/help3.html

6. Monique

Monique 4,699
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Haha, you're supposed to join in with the treat! :biggrin:

7. Evo

:yuck:

8. drizzle

drizzle 535
    Gold Member

Water.

9. You mean, she wants water?
    Don't you think the other explanation is more fascinating than this ,i.e that she wants us to share food with her?

10. drizzle

drizzle 535
    Gold Member

Well, this question can be answered after your kitten's next prey. :biggrin:

11. micromass

micromass 19,367
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The cat wants to blackmail you. So what it does is it kills an animal and bring it to their owners to scare them. The cat is actually saying: "watch out, hooman, or this will happen to you! Now give me decent food."

12. micromass

micromass 19,367
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

To reinforce my previous post:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?