Why does my integral of secant give -tan(x) when differentiated?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sisyphus
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral Secant
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 10K views
Sisyphus
Messages
62
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Basically, I have to find

[tex] \int \frac{1}{cosx} dx [/tex]

by multiplying the integrand by [tex]\frac{cosx}{cosx}[/tex]

I go through and arrive at a solution, but when I differentiate it,
I get -tan(x)

something's clearly wrong, but I can't see what it is that I'm doing wrong here...

Homework Equations



[tex] let u = sin(x)[/tex][tex]du = cos(x)dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution



[tex] \int \frac{1}{cosx} dx = \int \frac{cosx}{cos^2x} dx\\<br /> = \int \frac{cosx}{1-sin^2x} dx\\<br /> =\int \frac{du}{1-u^2} \\<br /> =\int \frac{du}{(1-u)*(1+u)} \\<br /> =\frac{1}{2} * \int \frac {1}{1+u} + \frac {1}{1-u} du\\<br /> = \frac{1}{2} * (ln(1-u^2}}) <br /> =\frac{1}{2} * (ln(cos^2))[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your second to last step (where you actually perform the integration) is wrong. In the second term, remember that u has a minus sign.
 
hmm..

I've never run into anything like this before

so why does u having a minus sign in front of it pose a problem with what I did in my original solution?

(thanks for the help)
 
Well, the value of your integral will be ln(1+u)-ln(1-u)
 
if I kept the minus sign where it was, which is what I did in my original solution, my integral would've been
[tex]ln(1+u)+ln(1-u)=ln(1-u^2)[/tex]

StatusX told me to watch out for the negative sign in front of the u, so I factored it out, made sure that u was positive, and then integrated it, which gave me the correct solution.

the thing is I'm not sure why I couldn't proceed as usual with the minus sign in front of the u
 
StatusX said to note the minus sign in front of the u. You can proceed as normal, but noting that [tex]\int\frac{1}{1-u}du=-ln(1-u)[/tex]. In general [tex]\int\frac{1}{f(u)}du=\frac{ln[f(u)]}{df/du}[/tex]. In this case, f(u)=1-u, and so df/du=-1
 
o_O i didn't know we would utilizie such a method to do this integral.

i've always thought the integral of secant was just sec[x]tan[x]!
 
silver-rose said:
o_O i didn't know we would utilizie such a method to do this integral.

i've always thought the integral of secant was just sec[x]tan[x]!

That's the derivative of sec(x)