What mistake did I make in solving the integral of tan(x)^3?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Goldenwind
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 50K views
Goldenwind
Messages
145
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Integral of tan(x)^3

Homework Statement


[tex]\int tan^3 x dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


[tex]= \int tanx*tan^2x dx[/tex]
[tex]= \int tanx*(1 - sec^2x) dx[/tex]
[tex]= \int tanx - tanxsec^2x dx[/tex]
[tex]= \int tanx dx - \int tanxsec^2x dx[/tex]
[tex]= \int \frac{sinx}{cosx} dx - \int u du[/tex]
[tex]= -\int \frac{-sinx}{cosx} dx - \frac{1}{2}u^2[/tex]
[tex]= -\int \frac{D(cosx)}{cosx} dx - \frac{1}{2}tanx^2[/tex]
[tex]= -ln(cosx) - \frac{1}{2}tanx^2 + C[/tex]
[tex]= ln(cosx^{-1}) - \frac{1}{2}tanx^2 + C[/tex]
[tex]= ln(\frac{1}{cosx}) - \frac{1}{2}tanx^2 + C[/tex]
[tex]= ln(secx) - \frac{1}{2}tanx^2 + C[/tex]

Book says I'm wrong. Where is my mistake?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1 + tan^2 = sec^2 is not equivalent to 1 - sec^2 = tan^2? (step 2) Looks like you missed a negative sign, pretty small error that apparently got magnified later on.
 


I'm wondering if this method is also legal.
 
Attachments
  • tan^3.png
    tan^3.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 17,831


shelovesmath said:
I'm wondering if this method is also legal.

yes sure
 


Quinzio said:
yes sure

Ok, but my answer is different. . .