Why Does Russia Support a Nuclear-Armed Iran?

• News
  • Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Support
In summary, there is no evidence that Iran has a nuclear weapons program and the real threat is the possibility of a war if we pursue our paranoia about a nuclear Iran.
WhoWee said:
Isn't the real threat (at this point) a "dirty bomb"?
From a non-state actor (terrorists) maybe, not from Iran. Iran's current leadership, per my read of the evidence, is after the real thing, a fission bomb.

Physics news on Phys.org
mheslep said:
From a non-state actor (terrorists) maybe, not from Iran. Iran's current leadership, per my read of the evidence, is after the real thing, a fission bomb.

An attack by any entry level "State Actor" could lead to total annihilation of said "State Actor".

I should have clarified, the threat of Iran using a fission bomb is much less likely than "a group" using a dirty bomb.

WhoWee said:
An attack by any entry level "State Actor" could lead to total annihilation of said "State Actor".

I should have clarified, the threat of Iran using a fission bomb is much less likely than "a group" using a dirty bomb.

The mere possession of a nuclear device will allow Iran the freedom to pursue its agenda.

seycyrus said:
The mere possession of a nuclear device will allow Iran the freedom to pursue its agenda.

What do you think that Agenda is and why?

Personally, i think Iran is a beautiful country with a great culture.. its too bad some of the rather extreme and draconian policies get in the way of that. Its also too bad most people don't realize those extreme and draconian laws were put in place because of the wests earlier actions.

For me, war isn't the answer. Support their democratic processes and bring them into the big tent..

Why would Iran bother to produce a dirty bomb if they can already produce unlimited amounts of nerve gas?

If Iran is not after a nuclear weapon, but instead wants to have the enrichment capability necessary to supply a few powerplants, then Iran would need a far larger enrichment capacity than they currrently have. What they currently have is perhaps barely sufficient to produce nuclear weapons.

WhoWee said:
1. Not annihilation, just catostraphic damage which they might calculate they could withstand. 2. They might farm out fission weapons to guerilla groups thinking they could walk away from responsibility.

I don't know that, and it's unclear how you could know that.

mheslep said:
1. Not annihilation, just catostraphic damage which they might calculate they could withstand.

That would depend upon their selection of targets.

WhoWee said:
That would depend upon their selection of targets.
So far, only targets in their region could only be directly attacked. Nobody in that region except Russia has the capability to annihilate a country the size of Iran.

Israel has 200 thermonuclear devices, more than enough to wipe Iran off the map.

mheslep said:
So far, only targets in their region could only be directly attacked. Nobody in that region except Russia has the capability to annihilate a country the size of Iran.

Are you forgetting the US, British, French, Pakistani, and Chinese presence - land or sea?

WhoWee said:
Are you forgetting the US, British, French, Pakistani, and Chinese presence - land or sea?
You said that Iran might attack - "their selection of targets"

Count Iblis said:
Israel has 200 thermonuclear devices, more than enough to wipe Iran off the map.
You know this how? Even if they did, Israel would have to launch first and everything at once, as 5-10 would be the end of Israel, and only one required to cut it in half.

mheslep said:
You said that Iran might attack - "their selection of targets"

How do we know their guidance systems work?

mheslep said:
You know this how? Even if they did, Israel would have to launch first and everything at once, as 5-10 would be the end of Israel, and only one required to cut it in half.

I've read that some time ago. Also, Israel has a good early warning system. Iran could attack first and Israel would still be able to launch an attack against Iran while the Iranian missiles are still in the air. Israel's anti-missile system would be able to take out most of the Iranian missiles.

If something were to go wrong and Israel were to be hit before it could attack Iran, then Israel still has a second strike option using its submarines.

byronm said:
What do you think that Agenda is and why?

I'm interested in getting into a big discussion about what I think their agenda is. Certainly not going to get into the "why".

You want to think that Iran is a peaceful community with leaders that possesses nothing, but goodwill for the rest of the world fine. I don't share that opinion. It certainly seems that the members of NATO don't share it either.

I know its a pretty place and I have known many peaceful Iranians.

As for "letting them into the tent", that's exactly what the UN is trying to do.

I think Russia gives these weapons to Iran because it knows Iran would not be stupid enough to attack it. If Iran attacked Russia then Russia would retaliate and the U.S. would back Russia since the U.S. consideres Iran a terrorist country...