Why does Saturn move so much in my telescope?

In summary, the rings of Saturn are not well positioned to be observed at this time with a telescope. You will need to use a lower magnification to see the rings, and set your tripod as low to the ground as possible to use its strongest struts. Also, make sure the ground you're observing from is solid and protected from wind.
danielandpenn
I have a Bushnell 100mm Mak Cassegrain telescope. When viewing Saturn with my 32mm eyepiece I can see it but I can't differentiate between the rings. When I use a 4, 6, or 9mm eyepiece, the image jumps so much I give up. Why is that and what can I do? Thank you so much.

penny

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The more magnification you have the more pronounced any vibrations will be. Make sure all nuts and bolts are tight and that everything is in balance and it is level. When you are looking through it don’t bump or touch it. Wind can also be a problem.

Also, the rings of Saturn are not ideally positioned for observing at this point in time.
They are open by only about 2°. They will increase to 4° by May the close again.
By September 4 of this year they will not be observable.

Although, this is really not that bad. It decreases the 'brightness' of the planet and makes for better observing of Saturn's moons and shadows.

As sas3 pointed out, as magnification goes up so does the problem with 'steady' viewing, almost exponentially.

At high powers it almost requires a motor drive to keep an object in the eyepiece for tracking any length of time.

A solid mount and tripod help.

Waveform said:
At high powers it almost requires a motor drive to keep an object in the eyepiece for tracking any length of time.

A solid mount and tripod help.
I have both and another thing requried is that you not touch the telescope while observing. Any touch, no matter how light, makes the telescope shake.

If the telescope is on an alt-az mount, this is very difficult. You have to move it a little, take your hands off and observe while it stabilizes and moves out of your field of view, move it back, repeat, etc.

danielandpenn said:
I have a Bushnell 100mm Mak Cassegrain telescope. When viewing Saturn with my 32mm eyepiece I can see it but I can't differentiate between the rings. When I use a 4, 6, or 9mm eyepiece, the image jumps so much I give up. Why is that and what can I do? Thank you so much.

penny
Use the minimum mag to need to see the rings, not the max.
Set your tripod as low to the ground as practical, so you're using its strongest struts.

How solid is the ground it's on?
How protected is your viewing spot from wind?

I tried hanging heavy weight from my tripod to see if that would stabilize it. No results to report.

1. Why does Saturn appear to move so much in my telescope?

The movement of Saturn in your telescope is due to a phenomenon known as "apparent motion." This is caused by the rotation of the Earth, which causes the position of Saturn in relation to the stars to change over time. It also depends on the magnification of your telescope and the speed at which Saturn is moving in its orbit around the Sun.

2. Does Saturn actually move more than other planets in my telescope?

No, all planets appear to move in a similar manner in a telescope. The apparent motion is dependent on the rotation of the Earth and the distance of the planet from the Sun. Saturn's position in its orbit varies slightly more than other planets due to its distance from the Sun and its slower orbital speed.

3. Can I see Saturn's moons moving in my telescope?

Yes, with a high-powered telescope and clear viewing conditions, you may be able to see the moons of Saturn orbiting the planet. However, their movement may not be as apparent as Saturn's due to their smaller size and slower orbital speeds.

4. How can I track Saturn's movement in my telescope?

To track Saturn's movement in your telescope, you can use a telescope mount or tracking system. These devices use motors to compensate for the Earth's rotation, allowing you to keep Saturn in your telescope's field of view for a longer period of time.

5. Can the atmosphere affect Saturn's apparent movement in my telescope?

Yes, atmospheric conditions such as wind or turbulence can affect the clarity of Saturn's image in your telescope and make its apparent movement seem more exaggerated. This is why it is important to choose a clear, still night for optimal viewing.