Why does the boundary term vanish in integration by parts with the normal distribution?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
St41n
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
I found this passage in a book:
http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/1452/75717730.jpg
where Φ(x) is the c.d.f. of the normal distribution.
However, using integration by parts I also get this term which is not included in the passage:

[tex][ e^{itx} \phi(x) ]^{+ \infty}_{- \infty}[/tex]
where i is the imaginary unit and [tex]\phi(x)[/tex] is the normal p.d.f.
So,
[tex]e^{itx} \phi(x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \exp \left( -0.5x^2 + itx \right)[/tex]
So, is this term:
[tex]\left[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \exp \left( -0.5x^2 + itx \right) \right]^{+ \infty}_{- \infty}[/tex]
equal to zero and why? It is not clearly evident to me
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, as x go to infinity,
[tex]e^{-x^2}[/tex]
goes to 0 very quickly. Quickly enough so that even
[tex]e^{-x^2}e^{x}[/tex] goes to 0 as x goes to positive infinity.
 
I kept doing the same fault, but I figured it out now, thanks