Why does the derivative of arctan(4t) equal 4/(1+16t²)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dlikes
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral Stuck
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 5K views
dlikes
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The Integral is arctan (4t) dt


Homework Equations



I know how to do integration by parts, but I guess I have forgotten some of the integration rules.

The Attempt at a Solution



I set ∫arctan(4t)=u, and dt=dv

I know that the derivative of arctan(x) is 1/(1+x^2), But when I differentiate arctan(4t), it comes out as 4t/(1+16t^2). Why is this? To me it seems like it should be 1/(1+4t^2). I know how to do the rest, I have the answer, I'm just not sure how they got there. Thanks for any help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
dlikes said:
But when I differentiate arctan(4t), it comes out as 4t/(1+16t^2). Why is this?

Because you've calculated the derivative wrong. To tell you exactly where your error is, you'll need to post your steps.