Why does the limit of 1/x² not exist as x approaches zero?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hwng10
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limit
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
Hwng10
Messages
4
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Show limit 1/x^2 when x approaches zero does not exist.


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


What I do is suppose the limit exists,say L.Then I show that for all real number L, the limit does not approaches L. In this case, I separate L into different cases. Can anyone help me to check is this a valid prove.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{1}{x^2} = \infty[/tex]

Since ∞ is not a real number the limit above is said not to exist. This limit means that for any large, positive number M, there is some interval around 0 such that if x is in that interval, 1/x2 > M.