1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Does limit exist as x approaches zero? Frobenius Method DEQ

1. Apr 13, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

what is the limit of (4x^2-1)/(4x^2)
    when x→0

2. Relevant equations

In order to find the Indicial Equation, do I need to take the limit of p(x) and q(x), the non-constant coefficients? If so, can the limit of this function be found using LH Rule?

3. The attempt at a solution

Please let me know any info you might have about the Frobenius Method, since I am just learning it from my professor's brief notes about it...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you think? What have you tried?

4. Apr 13, 2013 #3
    Well, can you use L' Hopital's Rule twice? (8x - 0)/(8x) and then (8/8) = 1 ?

But I'm confused if I need to multiple by x^2 to find q(nault)?

x^2*q(x)=q(nault)

y''(x) + p(x)y'(x) + q(x)y(x) = 0

If so, would the limit be -1/4?

x^2(4x^2-1)/(4x^2) = [(4x^4)/4x^2] - [x^2/(4x^2)] = [x^2] - [1/4] = [x=0] = - 1/4

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  5. Apr 13, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

L'Hopital applies only when the numerator and denominator both go to 0. Here, if x= 0, the numerator is -1 but the denominator is 0. Suppose x were some very small number, say x= 0.000001. What would that fraction be? Now, what do you thing the limit is?

6. Apr 13, 2013 #5
    negative infinity, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted