Tricky Limit as x approaches zero

• Thread starter cal.queen92
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit Zero
In summary, to find the limit as x approaches zero of (sin(4x))/(tan(3x)), we can use the law that states the limit as x approaches zero of (sin(theta))/theta = 1. By dividing the equation into smaller parts and using the small angle approximations, we can simplify the expression to (sin(4x)/4x) x (3/sin(3x)) x (cos(3x)/1) x (4/3), and when x approaches zero, the limit becomes 4/3.
cal.queen92

Homework Statement

find the limit as x approaches zero of: (sin(4x))/(tan(3x))

Homework Equations

a law that states : limit as x approaches zero of (sin(theta))/theta = 1

The Attempt at a Solution

I first divide the equation into:

(sin(4x))/1 * (cos(3x))/(sin(3x))

And then use the law mentioned above to multiply and dive by 4x:

(sin(4x))/(4x) * 4x(cos(3x))/(sin(3x))

Then, I divide the equation into:

4x*(cos(3x))/1 * 1/(sin(3x))

Then, I use the law again on cos(3x) this time:

4x* (cos(3x))/3x * 3x/(sin(3x))

And end up with:

4x * 3x/(sin(3x))

That's where I get stuck!

Am I using the right method? If so, where do i go next?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try expanding numerator and denominator as Maclaurin series.

Okay, but first, which numerator and denominator? The original equation, or my final one?

Also, what is a Maclaurin series? I've never heard of it before...

cal.queen92 said:
Also, what is a Maclaurin series? I've never heard of it before...

Specific case of Taylor series with expansion around zero.

For example,

sin(x)=x-x^3/6+x^5/120 ...

and

tan(x)=x+x^3/3+2x^5/15 + ...

http://orion.math.iastate.edu/vika/cal3_files/Lec27.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're not going to use LaTeX, you should at least make it clear which terms are in the numerator or denominator, especially since you seemed to have made an error in leap to the last line.

You're somewhat fine up to:

[tex]\lim_{x \rightarrow 0}\frac{4x \cos 3x }{3x}\cdot\frac{3x}{\sin 3x}[/tex]

(note you should actually put limits in front of these expressions, since you've already applied the law once to get to this point)

Apply the law again, and you should get the answer. If you've never heard of Taylor series before, chances are you're not supposed to use it. This limit law is from precalc, and Taylor series is something some people encounter in their second calc course.

Ah, OK then. I'm from the UK and we do things in a slight different order!

Do you know the small angle approximations?

[tex]\sin\theta \approx \tan\theta \approx \theta[/tex] for small [tex]\theta[/tex] in radians.

Question: sin(4x)/tan(3x) (lim approaching 0)
1- sin(4x)/((sin(3x)/(cos(3x)) (because tan=sinx/cosx
2- (sin(4x)(cos(3x))/sin(3x) (fraction on a fraction = flip up and multiply)
3-Next you're going to add in 3/3 and 4/4, this is allowed because they are both equivalent to 1. Because you know that sin(anything)/anything = 1 and anything/sin(anything) you can separate everything like so:
(sin(4x)/4x) x (3/sin(3x)) x (cos(3x)/1) x (4/3)
Once you put in the 0 you will get
1 x 1 x 1 (cos0=1) x 4/3
= 4/3
I hope this helps/I didn't make any mistakes.

What is a "Tricky Limit as x approaches zero"?

A "Tricky Limit as x approaches zero" refers to a type of mathematical limit that involves evaluating a function as the input variable (usually denoted as x) gets closer and closer to the value of zero. This type of limit can be challenging to solve because it may involve indeterminate forms, infinite limits, or discontinuities.

How do you solve a "Tricky Limit as x approaches zero"?

To solve a "Tricky Limit as x approaches zero," you can use various techniques such as algebraic manipulation, factoring, and L'Hopital's rule. It is also essential to identify any indeterminate forms present and use appropriate limit rules to evaluate the limit.

What are some common indeterminate forms in "Tricky Limit as x approaches zero"?

Some common indeterminate forms in "Tricky Limit as x approaches zero" include 0/0, ∞/∞, and ∞-∞. These forms indicate that the limit cannot be evaluated directly and requires further simplification or manipulation.

Why is solving a "Tricky Limit as x approaches zero" important?

Solving a "Tricky Limit as x approaches zero" is essential because it helps us understand the behavior of a function as the input variable gets closer to zero. This type of limit is commonly used in calculus and other areas of mathematics to determine the derivative, continuity, and other properties of a function.

What are some real-life applications of "Tricky Limit as x approaches zero"?

"Tricky Limit as x approaches zero" can be used in various real-life applications, such as calculating interest rates, determining the speed of an object at a particular time, and analyzing the growth rate of a population. It is also used in physics, engineering, and economics to model and predict various phenomena.