Why Does the Minimum Radius of Curvature Occur at the Apex in Parabolic Motion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
F.Turner
Messages
10
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A projectile in uniform gravitational field g=-g*j[tex]\hat{}[/tex] with initial location x(t=0)=[tex]_{}x[/tex]o, y(0)=[tex]_{}y[/tex]o show explicitly that the minimum value of radius of curvature [tex]\partial[/tex] of the resulting parabolic trajectory occurs at the apex and equal to ([tex]^{}v[/tex]ox)^2/g

Homework Equations


Dynamic vector kinematics equations



The Attempt at a Solution


I have set up two equations that i believe I will need but still I'm stuck i am not to sure if the route I'm taking is correct. Would like to know what should be the initial setup for this problem.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I think I'm heading in the right direction now, I am trying to evaluate the radius of curvature as a function of position from there i will attempt to...not sure yet