Why does the stopping potential not depend on the intensity of incident light?

In summary, the stopping potential in the Einstein photoelectric effect equation is not affected by the intensity of incident light. It is solely determined by the material's work function and the wavelength and frequency of the light.
P-Jay1

Physics news on Phys.org
P-Jay1 said:

Look at the Einstein photoelectric effect equation that describes light's energy with respect to the work function of the material. Try to make the connection between that equation, and your question.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Look at the Einstein photoelectric effect equation that describes light's energy with respect to the work function of the material. Try to make the connection between that equation, and your question.

Zz.

I did and I can't!

The stopping potential depends on the material, and has no relation to the incoming light.

P-Jay1 said:
I did and I can't!

Write it down here and tell me what you think the equation means.

Meir Achuz said:
The stopping potential depends on the material, and has no relation to the incoming light.

Er.. yes it does. Use higher energy photons on the SAME material, and the stopping potential will be different.

Zz.

Sorry, I thought he meant the work function.
I just read it carelessly.

It's simply because the intensity of light does not determine whether or not electrons is liberated or not. In other words wavelength and frequent are the only determinant here.

1. Why doesn't the stopping potential vary with the intensity of incident light?

The stopping potential refers to the minimum potential difference needed to stop the flow of electrons in a photoelectric effect experiment. This value is determined by the energy of the incident photons, not the intensity or number of photons. As long as the photons have enough energy to overcome the work function of the material, the stopping potential will not vary.

2. How does the intensity of light affect the kinetic energy of emitted electrons?

The intensity of light does not directly affect the kinetic energy of emitted electrons. It only determines the number of photons that reach the material's surface, which in turn affects the number of electrons that are ejected. The kinetic energy of the emitted electrons is determined by the energy of the incident photons and the work function of the material.

3. Can the stopping potential be increased by increasing the intensity of incident light?

No, the stopping potential cannot be increased by increasing the intensity of incident light. As mentioned before, the stopping potential is determined by the energy of the incident photons, not their intensity. Even if the intensity is increased, the energy of the photons remains the same and thus the stopping potential will not change.

4. How does the intensity of light affect the number of emitted electrons?

The intensity of light directly affects the number of emitted electrons. As the intensity increases, more photons reach the material's surface, resulting in a higher number of electrons being ejected. However, the kinetic energy of these electrons will not be affected by the intensity of light.

5. What factors determine the stopping potential?

The stopping potential is determined by the energy of the incident photons and the work function of the material. The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from the surface of the material. If the energy of the photons is greater than the work function, the remaining energy is converted into the kinetic energy of the emitted electrons.