Why does this anticommutator yield this particular result?

• Thread starter space-time
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Yield
In summary, when calculating the anticommutator between the momentum and position operators, it is important to pay attention to the order of operators in the final expression. Some websites may have a different convention, so it is always best to double check your work using a different method or source.
space-time
I was calculating the anticommutator between the momentum operator p and the position operator x (just pretend that p and x have the little operator hats above them). Here is the expression:

{p , x} = px + xp

Now we know that p is as follows:

p = -i(∂/∂x) (Note: I am using natural units so ħ = 1)
x = x

Now, to solve the anti-commutator:

px = -i * [ ∂(xf(x))/∂x] = -if(x) - ix(∂f/∂x)
xp = -ix(∂f/∂x)
px + xp = -if(x) - ix(∂f/∂x) - ix(∂f/∂x) = -if(x) - 2ix(∂f/∂x) = -if(x) + 2xp

Now just take out the f(x) (which was just a place holder function) and you should get:

{p , x} = -i + 2xp

However, some websites that I have gone to in order to check my work suggest that the answer is supposed to be:

i + 2xp (notice that the i has no negative sign).

Why is this? What happens to that -i that is supposed to be there? Did I make a careless mistake anywhere or did the website make a mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
space-time said:
However, some websites that I have gone to in order to check my work suggest that the answer is supposed to be:
Please link to websites you refer to. Otherwise we have no way of checking what you are referring to.

Regarding your problem, it is much easier to use the relation [A,B] + {A,B} = 2AB, which holds for any operators A and B. You can check your answer using it.

In this link, note the ordering of operators in the final expression of the second answer. I don't know which website you're looking at, but pay attention to the order of operators.

1. Why is the anticommutator of two operators not equal to zero?

The anticommutator of two operators is defined as the sum of their products, with one operator reversed in order. Since the order of operations matters in mathematics, the anticommutator may not yield zero if the operators do not commute.

2. What is the physical significance of the anticommutator in quantum mechanics?

The anticommutator is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the uncertainty of two operators. It helps determine the compatibility of two observables and their ability to be measured simultaneously.

3. Why do anticommutators play an important role in the theory of symmetry breaking?

In the theory of symmetry breaking, anticommutators are used to calculate the commutation relations between generators of a symmetry group. These commutation relations determine the structure of the symmetry group and its breaking patterns.

4. How does the anticommutator of two fermionic operators differ from that of two bosonic operators?

Fermionic operators follow the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two fermions can occupy the same state simultaneously. This leads to the anticommutator of two fermionic operators being equal to zero. On the other hand, bosonic operators do not follow this principle, and their anticommutator is equal to two times the product of the operators.

5. Can the anticommutator of two operators be negative?

Yes, the anticommutator of two operators can be negative. This occurs when the operators do not commute and have a negative correlation. In quantum mechanics, this is associated with the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, where the measurement of one observable affects the outcome of the other observable in an unpredictable way.