Why does (x²ᵢ₊₁ + xᵢ₊₁xᵢ + x²ᵢ) < 3δ in a Riemann integral proof?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bashyboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Function Riemann
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 1K views
Bashyboy
Messages
1,419
Reaction score
5

Homework Statement


Here is a link to the problem which I am currently working on:

http://math.umn.edu/~jara0025/Math4603/Math4603H9Answers.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
The specific problem I am working on is found on page 3, and is the first problem on that page. The step I am having trouble with is

$$= \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} (x_{i+1} - x_i)(x^2_{i+1} + x_{i+1}x_i + x_i^2) (x_{i+1} - x_i)$$

$$ < \delta 3 \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} (x_{i+1} - x_i)$$

What is going on?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bashyboy said:

Homework Statement


Here is a link to the problem which I am currently working on:

http://math.umn.edu/~jara0025/Math4603/Math4603H9Answers.pdf

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
The specific problem I am working on is found on page 3, and is the first problem on that page. The step I am having trouble with is

$$= \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} (x_{i+1} - x_i)(x^2_{i+1} + x_{i+1}x_i + x_i^2) (x_{i+1} - x_i)$$

$$ < \delta 3 \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} (x_{i+1} - x_i)$$

What is going on?

The point is that ##x_i \le 1## and ##(x_{i+1}-x_i) \lt \delta## for all ##i##. Try using those inequalities.
 
Last edited by a moderator: