Derivation of an identity for ##\partial^2_t \int T^{00}(x^i x_i)^2d^3

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of an integral involving the energy-momentum tensor and the mistakes that may have been made in the process. The participants also pointed out the correct notation and use of the Einstein summation convention in order to avoid confusion.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
I want to show the identity:
##\partial^2_t \int T^{00}(x^i x_i)^2 d^3x = 4\int T^i_i x^j x_j d^3x + 8\int T^{ij}x_i x_j d^3x##
by using the identity: ##T^{\mu \nu}_{,\nu}=0##, for a bounded system (i.e. a system for which ##T^{\mu \nu}=0## outside a bounded region of space).
I'll write down my calculations, and I would like if someone can point me to my mistakes.

$$\partial_t \int T^{00}(x^i x_i)^2 d^3 x = -\int T^{0k}_{,k}(x^i x_i)^2 d^3 x = \Dcancelto[0]{-\int (T^{0k}(x_ix^i)^2)_{,k}d^3 x} +\int (T^{0k}(x_i x^i)^2_{,k})d^3 x$$

After that:
$$\partial_t \int T^{0k} [ 2x_k (x^k)^2+2(x_k)^2 x^k] d^3 x = \int T^{0k},0 [ 2x_k (x^k)^2+2(x_k)^2 x^k] d^3 x = $$
$$=-\int T^{kj}_{,j}[2x_k(x^k)^2+2(x_k)^2 x^k] =\[ \Dcancelto[0]{-\int (T^{kj}[ 2x_k(x^k)^2+2(x_k)^2x^k])_{,j}d^3 x}\] + \int T^{kj}[2\delta_{jk}(x^k)^2+4x_k x^k \delta^k_j + 2(x_k)^2\delta^k_j+4x_k \delta_{jk} x^k ] d^3 x$$

How to continue? assuming my above work is correct?

Thanks!
The \Dcancelto should be the arrow that goes to zero, I am not sure how to fix this here.

Physics news on Phys.org
The arrow is given by Longrightarrow.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
someone can point me to my mistakes.
$$\partial_t \int T^{00}(x^i x_i)^2 d^3 x = \int T^{0k} \left( (x_i x^i)^2 \right)_{,k}\ d^3 x$$
[tex]\left( ( x_{i}x^{i} )^{2} \right)_{,k} = 4 x_{k} \left( x_{j}x^{j} \right) .[/tex]

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
samalkhaiat said:
[tex]\left( ( x_{i}x^{i} )^{2} \right)_{,k} = 4 x_{k} \left( x_{j}x^{j} \right) .[/tex]
Isn't this should be: ##(x_i x^i)^2_{,k} = (x_i x^i x_i x^i)_{,k}=2x_k (x^k)^2 + 2x^k (x_k)^2##?, where I used the fact that: ##\delta_{ik} = x_{i,k}##.

OK, I think I see my mistake (not really mine, it's the awful physicists' notation).
##(x_i x^i)^2 ## is actually ##(x_i x^i) (x_j x^j)##.

$$\begin{eqnarray*}
&&((x_ix^i)^2)_{,k}\\
&=&(x_ix^ix_jx^j)_{,k}\\
&=&(x_ix^i)_{,k}(x_jx^j)+(x_ix^i)(x_jx^j)_{,k}\\
&=&2x_k(x_jx^j)+(x_ix^i)2x_k\\
&=&4x_k(x_jx^j)\end{eqnarray*}$$
...and I typed all that out so I'm posting it even though I see you worked it out before I'd quite finished. In defence of the notation, I don't think ##(x_ix^i)^2## is at all ambiguous. Expanding it as ##(x_ix^ix_ix^i)## breaks the "no index more than twice" rule. And it's not at all clear to me what your ##x_k(x^k)^2## could mean, because you are using ##k## as both a dummy and a free subscript, which should hint to you that you've done something wrong.

Likes MathematicalPhysicist
Ibix said:
$$\begin{eqnarray*}
&&((x_ix^i)^2)_{,k}\\
&=&(x_ix^ix_jx^j)_{,k}\\
&=&(x_ix^i)_{,k}(x_jx^j)+(x_ix^i)(x_jx^j)_{,k}\\
&=&2x_k(x_jx^j)+(x_ix^i)2x_k\\
&=&4x_k(x_jx^j)\end{eqnarray*}$$
...and I typed all that out so I'm posting it even though I see you worked it out before I'd quite finished. In defence of the notation, I don't think ##(x_ix^i)^2## is at all ambiguous. Expanding it as ##(x_ix^ix_ix^i)## breaks the "no index more than twice" rule. And it's not at all clear to me what your ##x_k(x^k)^2## could mean, because you are using ##k## as both a dummy and a free subscript, which should hint to you that you've done something wrong.
Yes, you are correct in saying that it's not ambiguous while remembering to use Einstein summation convention, my problem is that I was also been reading books in pure maths and they don't always use the Einstein summation convention, so it can be quite confusing going from one book to another.

Thanks anyway!

Related to Derivation of an identity for ##\partial^2_t \int T^{00}(x^i x_i)^2d^3

1. What is the purpose of deriving an identity for ##\partial^2_t \int T^{00}(x^i x_i)^2d^3?

The purpose of deriving this identity is to understand the relationship between the time derivative of the integral of the energy-momentum tensor and the spatial integral of the squared energy density. This identity is often used in the study of general relativity and quantum field theory.

2. How is the identity for ##\partial^2_t \int T^{00}(x^i x_i)^2d^3 derived?

The identity is derived using mathematical techniques such as integration by parts and the use of the Einstein field equations. It involves manipulating the expressions for the time derivative and spatial integral to arrive at an equivalent form.

3. What are the applications of the identity for ##\partial^2_t \int T^{00}(x^i x_i)^2d^3?

The identity has various applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of general relativity and quantum field theory. It can be used to analyze the dynamics of energy and momentum in these fields and to understand the behavior of physical systems.

4. Is the identity for ##\partial^2_t \int T^{00}(x^i x_i)^2d^3 unique?

No, there are multiple ways to derive this identity, and different approaches may result in slightly different forms. However, the underlying concept and relationship between the time derivative and spatial integral remain the same.

5. Can the identity for ##\partial^2_t \int T^{00}(x^i x_i)^2d^3 be extended to other quantities?

Yes, similar identities can be derived for other quantities such as the energy-momentum tensor components, stress-energy density, and other spatial integrals. These identities can provide valuable insights into the behavior of physical systems and their dynamics.