Why doesn't a real Infinite Redshift Limit occur at R+ for Kerr BHs?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
JTorn
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
Homework Statement
The exercise says the following:

" Considering a body radially infalling towards a Kerr black hole, show that ˙t becomes infinite at the horizon r = r+ but not at the static limit r = R+. Although the r = R+ surface is usually called “infinite redshift surface” (because gtt = 0 there), argue that this is not where the actual infinite redshift takes place (as seen from infinity). What prevents a source of light from being infinitely redshifted at R"
Relevant Equations
We got the formulae for EH raidus (r+) and the radius for Ergosphere (R+).
As I have studied before, I found that Infinite Red Shift occurs where gtt = 0 but this exercise says that on Kerr's Black Hole it doesn't really work like that.

Right now I'm blocked because I didn't find anything on the internet about it so I don't know how to show this phenomenon. Any help would be great.
 
Physics news on Phys.org