Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why doesn't Rubidium decay to Strontium?

1. May 15, 2015 #1
    Both ##^{87}_{37}Rb## and ##^{87}_{38}Sr## are odd-even nuclei, so we can ignore the pairing term ##\delta##. I tried to calculate the most stable Z for a given A by finding ##\frac{\partial B}{\partial Z} = 0##. That gives the most Z-stable value of ##Z_0 = \frac{2\gamma A}{4\gamma + \epsilon A^{\frac{2}{3}}}## which is ##38## for ##A=87##.
    image.png

If that's the case, then why wouldn't Rb beta decay to Strontium as these are naturally occurring isobars.

2. jcsd
  3. May 15, 2015 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

87Rb does, in fact, beta-decay with a half-life of about 4.8 x 1010 years. See e.g. http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/

4. May 15, 2015 #3
    Then why is it so stable with such a long half-life?

5. May 15, 2015 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

What do you think it's half life should be?

6. May 15, 2015 #5
    My question is since it is more stable to undergo beta decay, why doesn't it undergo decay quicker? For example uranium 235's half life is 10 times shorter.

7. May 15, 2015 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

And Vanadium-50's is a million times longer. What do you think it's half life should be?

8. May 16, 2015 #7
    I get your point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook