Why don't humans orbit the earth?

• B
  • Thread starter Prog47
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Let's say a single human exits the atmosphere? Why doesn't he orbit the earth like the moon does? Why does he drift in space instead?

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Your premise is incorrect because you are not specifying the initial conditions properly. What happens will depend on the speed an direction of how the person moves.

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
+1

What makes you think he will "drift in space"? What does that even mean?

Let's say a single human exits the atmosphere? Why doesn't he orbit the earth like the moon does? Why does he drift in space instead?
He doesn't drift in space. He falls back on earth. If he leaves a spaceship, he has all the orbital velocity the spaceship has, so he stays near the spaceship. It's the same thing as if you jump up and down in a train. You land on the place where you jumped off. If he leaves earth with the right velocity and angle, he could orbit earth.

He doesn't drift in space. He falls back on earth. If he leaves a spaceship, he has all the orbital velocity the spaceship has, so he stays near the spaceship. It's the same thing as if you jump up and down in a train. You land on the place where you jumped off. If he leaves earth with the right velocity and angle, he could orbit earth.
Okay I was just thinking about this in the wrong way. I thought why does the moon orbit the earth? Why can't a human? I guess it depends on his velocity

CWatters
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
A human can. Think about what happens on a space walk outside the ISS. The man and ISS are both in orbit around the earth (hopefully extremely similar orbits!).