1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Why don't humans orbit the earth?

1. Oct 12, 2016 #1
    Let's say a single human exits the atmosphere? Why doesn't he orbit the earth like the moon does? Why does he drift in space instead?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your premise is incorrect because you are not specifying the initial conditions properly. What happens will depend on the speed an direction of how the person moves.

4. Oct 12, 2016 #3

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

+1

What makes you think he will "drift in space"? What does that even mean?

5. Oct 12, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

He doesn't drift in space. He falls back on earth. If he leaves a spaceship, he has all the orbital velocity the spaceship has, so he stays near the spaceship. It's the same thing as if you jump up and down in a train. You land on the place where you jumped off. If he leaves earth with the right velocity and angle, he could orbit earth.

6. Oct 12, 2016 #5
    Okay I was just thinking about this in the wrong way. I thought why does the moon orbit the earth? Why can't a human? I guess it depends on his velocity

7. Oct 12, 2016 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A human can. Think about what happens on a space walk outside the ISS. The man and ISS are both in orbit around the earth (hopefully extremely similar orbits!).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted